Another Baby Clownfish Thread

Ryan4485

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe that they are two weeks old already! Another day in the bag with no losses. I’m a little concerned on the lack of rotifers in the fry tank, despite me adding so many. Think one of my cultures has crashed. I’m fairly sure they are all eating TDO now, so hopefully they will be ok.
I’ve also got a BBS hatchery on the go now as a backup in case the rots fail me. I think the cultures need a couple of days to regrow. So can anyone advise, how many times a day should I feed TDO if relying on it as a main food source? I still have a few babies yet to get through meta which is why I’m concerned.
Do you have a picture of the clownfish babies after Christmas?

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the clownfish babies after Christmas?
I sure do!
DB3871C3-0075-4656-A749-61968943A373.jpeg
2CF675EF-0F67-489C-AE56-59CAA6021CDF.jpeg

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 31 days old today, all eating like champs, getting some real depth to their bodies and loosing baby fins. I have another batch cooking now, a lot more fry in the new hatch!

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness they're getting SO BIG! This is such a fascinating thread, and I'm loving the updates!
I will keep adding updates as they grow, I can’t believe we’ve made it a full month, and feel very lucky to have only lost a total of 4 fry from this 1st hatch. It’s been so rewarding watching them grow. I 100% recommend everyone giving this a try, it’s so worth the time and effort :)

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with 35... since you didn't put any limits on voting times ;)
Absolutely! No limits on voting haha, I think 35 is the correct number. I wish they would stay still long enough for me to count them and take decent photos, but they’re far too busy squabbling, eating and pooping for that.

Hthoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frustration here... from hour 30 to 48, 90% of the babies died....

- tank is full of rotifers
- small quantity water change every 12 hours
- little spirulina green water to tint the water
- temperature around 82F
- first hatch ou the clownfish pair

and they're just sinking to the bottom of the tank...
any ideas??? what have I done wrong?

Thanks!!!!

Hthoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frustration here... from hour 30 to 48, 90% of the babies died....

- tank is full of rotifers
- small quantity water change every 12 hours
- little spirulina green water to tint the water
- temperature around 82F
- first hatch ou the clownfish pair

and they're just sinking to the bottom of the tank...
any ideas??? what have I done wrong?

Thanks!!!!

first 2 hours...

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’ve done everything ok. Did you say it’s the parents 1st hatch? That may be the issue. I would probably let them lay a few times before collecting. Also focus on parents nutrition to ensure strong fry. Up feeding to 4x daily, feed a variety of foods and include veggies, fish or lobster eggs and omega fatty acids.

Hthoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’ve done everything ok. Did you say it’s the parents 1st hatch? That may be the issue. I would probably let them lay a few times before collecting. Also focus on parents nutrition to ensure strong fry. Up feeding to 4x daily, feed a variety of foods and include veggies, fish or lobster eggs and omega fatty acids.
Thanks!!! The female is about to spawn again... Her belly is pretty swollen.

Hthoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many of them swimming erratically on the bottom of the little tank, it is white beneath the glass (styrofoam), so had light reflection... it scared me... could it be the problem?

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many of them swimming erratically on the bottom of the little tank, it is white beneath the glass (styrofoam), so had light reflection... it scared me... could it be the problem?
Could be that your light is too bright or at wrong angle. Could also be that the water isn’t tinted green enough….. hard to say without seeing. Could also be weak fry as I mentioned earlier.

Hthoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but i hevent used the siphon for continuous water change... i did it at every 12 hours, for 5 minutes (around 7 liters), the tank volume is around 25 liters.

the walls were covered after the fry came to live there...

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... here it goes. a video i've sent to a friend of mine.
do you speak portuguese?
No I don’t speak Portuguese sorry. I would only be adding about 1-2 litres of water each day to the fry tank from parent tank for the first week, depending on the size of your fry tank. Then do water changes once you have topped up the fry tank to the level you want to run it. I would recommend reading the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson as a bit of research :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back