Another ICH Thread !!!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had ICH again....
I haven't added any fish in about 1-2 months and everyone was fine for all that time with nothing. So Im sure it just lives in the tank, or in the fish in a dormant state....

Anyway... No treatment again!

Just kept feeding as normal, making sure everyone eats. Keep the flow up on any hidden or dead spots....

I did add a 55watt UV Sterlizer this time, but I only ran it first for a few hours, then again for 24 hours, then rest for a day, then back on for 24 hours, then off again.
About 2 weeks since and no signs of ich on anyone.

Cant say the UV did anything, I have had ICH in past and just kept flow up and feeding regularly.... At that, My baby hippo didnt show as having it, my purple tang didnt show as having it either.
The majestic angel showed signs, the blue face angel showed signs and my powder blue tang showed signs... Everyone else looked fine the entire time.

Looks to be gone as i said.

huskyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your UV pump? to kill the ICH you need slower water flow threw the UV so it can kill the ICH. I would use a 250GPH pump.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slower? I thought i read a faster flow was needed...
I have it attached to the plumbing for the return but it has a ball valve on it so i can control the amount of water that passes.
I just lowered it, but again, with feeding and flow i havent seen any signs of it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the same experience with ICH and a UV sterilizer. Research says the UV probably does nothing (I was running it 24X7 for over 6 months). I decided to try removing it and I had a few spots showing up the next day. Prior to that I had no signs of ICH for the life of the tank. I hooked it back up and it was gone within 2 days and hasn't shown back up. So that being said, even if it is doing nothing and was coincidence, I can't bring myself to remove it again lol.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info guys, thanks...
Another question

I got a 55watt unit, from the packaging it says its meant for like 2000 gal pond...
Does that mean it should work even better on my 150Gal tank? LOL

huskyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be perfect for a saltwater. fresh water always needs smaller UV for the same volume of water. How old is your bulb?
I change my bulb every 8 months.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • Full frame

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back