Another introduction, this time from Rhode Island

StephenC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

New to the forums, but totally new to the hobby. I used to have a 75gal fish only tank for about 4 years before I had to distribute the critters and break it down. Now I am looking to get back into the hobby and going a bit, okay a LOT, bigger than the 75gal I had before. You can see my idea for my new tank in the build thread I have created (tank design/idea). Would really appreciate any opinions/feedback on the design.

A bit about me -
Like I said not a total newb but have a lot to learn as I am wanting to build a mixed reef tank so corals are looking a bit scary. Initial interest/draw to the hobby is my experiences SCUBA diving and wanting to bring some of that beauty and experience 'home' with me. I doubt I will set up my tank(s) around any specific area, but rather just what I will enjoy seeing and watching.

I am an R&D engineer by profession and love to build/tinker with embedded systems, control systems, etc. I will be implementing some ideas of automating a lot of features on my system and will probably give some serious looking into the Reef-Pi system and see if it is for me and/or see if I can contribute to the design or end up spinning up my own system. I have a lot of experience with designing and interfacing to systems so feel free to contact/ask me for ideas/help in designing/interfacing/controlling some device or contraption you are thinking about.

In addition to any feedback on my tank design I would like to know if anyone knows of an active group/club for saltwater hobbyists in RI or Eastern CT. I looked in the "Local Reef Club Discussion" but there is basically no activity in the RI thread and the CT seems to be all Western CT groups. For CT groups I'm looking for something in the triangle formed by Old Lyme, Norwich, and Westerly RI.

Take care and looking forward to interacting with everyone.
S

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R.png

Great to meet you. I have pretty much stuck with 75 gallon systems or around that size of system. But one day ;) Thank you for becoming a member.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I think a lot of hobbyists have similar interests ... I'm a big Cities:Skylines fanatic for similar reasons around controlling systems ... "if I change this road to an interchange, how does that affect the traffic patterns in this other part of the city ... if I move this pumping station, does it increase my efficiency" etc. I think we all love a good system to tinker with :p

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back