another tank bites the dust

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly. so not knowing if he sprayed anything, this is where I'm a bit worried. I mean, I can try again but, if there's something now in the water, and coating my tank... I think I'll totally take it apart, clean it...new sand and then add the rocks from the sump, then 1/2 new and 1/2 from my 300. then I'll just let it sit a week, and then test. sound right? at least it's not rushing and I can just observe
It wouldnt be a bad idea to get it clean and then put your rock and media from the 300. Add any new rock sand you want. if you have enough rock/media from an established tank again you shouldnt see a cycle.
Could you wait sure. You could even add an ammonia source and retest to see how long it takes to turn to nitrate just dont go crazy.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldnt be a bad idea to get it clean and then put your rock and media from the 300. Add any new rock sand you want. if you have enough rock/media from an established tank again you shouldnt see a cycle.
Could you wait sure. You could even add an ammonia source and retest to see how long it takes to turn to nitrate just dont go crazy.
yeah. I am wondering about the rock that was original in that 32...it got wacked by all this too. so with that, should I rinse it and dry it out, then put it in my 300 sump? or do you think it would be alright? I probably have 20lbs of it now in the sump, that I removed before all this happened. Certainly I understand it's more than enough, but I wanted to try and get more in that tank. Height is what I was going for.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like this advice. I sometimes wonder how I don’t go crazy. Gotta be a perfectionist with my tank haha.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea now talking I would not reuse that rock. I would soak it back in water and test the ammonia on it. Also test the ammonia in your small tank now. If your small tank is showing zero ammonia which it should then I would think it’s a chemical on the rock. If your small tank has no ammonia now I would completely buy new everything and assume something like a chemical killed it.
he says nothing should "should" be on it. so with that said, I wont be doing this. I would like to put it in a bin with new saltwater, and let it do it's thing... but given I'm not sure what could be on it now...I dont think even that will be safe.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you wait sure. You could even add an ammonia source and retest to
exactly. so not knowing if he sprayed anything, this is where I'm a bit worried. I mean, I can try again but, if there's something now in the water, and coating my tank... I think I'll totally take it apart, clean it...new sand and then add the rocks from the sump, then 1/2 new and 1/2 from my 300. then I'll just let it sit a week, and then test. sound right? at least it's not rushing and I can just observe
I think this sounds like a good plan.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
he says nothing should "should" be on it. so with that said, I wont be doing this. I would like to put it in a bin with new saltwater, and let it do it's thing... but given I'm not sure what could be on it now...I dont think even that will be safe.
You are welcome for help! What’s worth it to someone isn’t always the same. I wouldn’t add a rock sitting in my garage in general at this point because I’m so careful and have probably 20k invested in my tank. I’d be worried some killer mold or something would grow on it and kill my tank hahaha okay not that but maybe a weed spray or something getting on it by accident. All new rock sounds like less than 100$ to know it’s safe. If you test the ammonia and it’s high you have your cause. Best luck :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would clarify

Lemme see the system you said is crashed with a clear display pic

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image0 - Copy (2).jpeg
    image0 - Copy (2).jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image1 - Copy (2).jpeg
    image1 - Copy (2).jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image2 - Copy (2).jpeg
    image2 - Copy (2).jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the large rock is already out. There's not much sand in there, maybe 10#, but I got more. Thing is, is I am worried that said large rock could potentially have something on it I am not aware of...so now I am worried about reusing this sand and rock.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one cause of your issue is 2x bright lights, reduce 50% 8 hours max

Be hand cleaning it to export don't let the target rot in the tank

If you want the best turnaround a rip clean is the way, to export mass vs degrade it in the tank. Those surfaces are new, reflective, and not the same algae resistance as purple non reflective algae excluding coralline

This thread shows your to just clean the rocks, no harsh treatment required. Rasp what you can, put back over clean rinsed sand

(You'd pre rinse your new sand)

read for the right fix

If you run that method you won't buy any bottled bacteria and your tank would be fixed by 9pm tonite, skip cycle

All new water, matching temp and salinity as shown (exports rotten cellular material, waste, from the eutrophication crash=start clean and your rock bacteria remain- they're not killed

The path to a tank you want is physical not chemical. Nothing to buy nothing to test other than matching temp and salinity of the all new water

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want the best turnaround a rip clean is the way, to export mass vs degrade it in the tank. Those surfaces are new, reflective, and not the same algae resistance as purple non reflective algae excluding coralline

This thread shows your to just clean the rocks, no harsh treatment required. Rasp what you can, put back over clean rinsed sand

read for the right fix

If you run that method you won't buy any bottled bacteria and your tank would be fixed by 9pm tonite, skip cycle

All new water, matching temp and salinity as shown (exports rotten cellular material, waste, from the eutrophication crash=start clean and your rock bacteria remain- they're not killed

The path to a tank you want is physical not chemical. Nothing to buy nothing to test other than matching temp and salinity of the all new water
I dont run the lights that high. That's for picture only so that it can be seen vs blue lighting...
I will read this, I was really just concerned due to the peices of dead matter and bristle worms etc this is a mess

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read for the right fix

I think you missed the issue on this tank.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run the lights that high. That's for picture only so that it can be seen vs blue lighting...
I will read this, I was really just concerned due to the peices of dead matter and bristle worms etc this is a mess
Like I said I would remove anything that was in the tank. Use your cycled rock and media new sand and should be good to go.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted the exact remedy for the pictures above = other tanks taking pictures like that at the start and the steps required to reverse them into clean tank pictures

There's no need to recycle any of the rock its this simple as stated: that rock above is ready to reef when its debrided of waste. Bristle worms weren't mentioned because in the work thread you can see their dead mass would be cleaned out in the rip clean

If that isn't the rock that's part of the tank, then posting a picture of it in the tank is unhelpful

If it is the rock the steps in the thread are guaranteed to fix it for you

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted the exact remedy for the pictures above = other tanks taking pictures like that at the start and the steps required to reverse them into clean tank pictures

There's no need to recycle any of the rock its this simple as stated: that rock above is ready to reef when its debrided of waste. Bristle worms weren't mentioned because in the work thread you can see their dead mass would be cleaned out in the rip clean

If that isn't the rock that's part of the tank, then posting a picture of it in the tank is unhelpful

If it is the rock the steps in the thread are guaranteed to fix it for you
You need to read the first post in this thread if you didnt. There is something possibly strange here. A rock was added to an established tank and the tank crashed, 1 day. Some of us are thinking some type of contamination. I get the rip clean but if there is something that was on the rock other then ammonia causing dead organics a rip clean wont help.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. I started over with all new sand, but not a whole lot...I cleaned the rocks in RO water, that were in the tank still, minus my 10 pounder. That one is getting bleached and then dealt with. I also pulled rock from my established 300 and it's sump, thank God for doing that a year ago. I also had some ceramic rings in a bag in that sump for a just in case I need it, situation. I did all new clean water, used filter media from the 300, some Microbacter7 (cant hurt) and plugged it in. I still need more rock for my liking, but it's started, and I will test for amonia today. I dont have a kit for that. anyway, this is where I am so far
71072467793__05A9D353-9F39-4FF3-AB4D-59DD62FDAAE5.jpg
71073989397__F718FFB1-E313-4587-84B4-9F65AC38D158.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 73 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back