i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sunburst would do well.

20220517_133807.jpg
I was going to recommend that, man your specimen is stunning!
I remember getting advice from my old LFS about one of these fitting in a RS Max Nano because the guy working there never saw one bigger than what usually comes in (1 inch specimens).

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember getting advice from my old LFS about one of these fitting in a RS Max Nano because the guy working there never saw one bigger than what usually comes in (1 inch specimens).
mine was very shy and not an open water swimmer though.
Was more boring tbh.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the more solitary species and larger Pseudanthias. Many unfortunately are extremely deepwater and only a handful will ever see one alive.
I personally love the Raubalichthys species. I almost bought a group but I don’t feed frozen until quite late into the evening and I can’t feed 3 times a day, the most I can do is 2 times.
It’s a stunning genus if you ever get to see any species from it in captivity though!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Heard of them but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in my place. If we’re talking about Pseudanthias, I actually like the larger ones a lot: Pink Square, One Striped, and a few others. And then there’s these super rare deepwater Anthias.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My (2) new anthias in QT are still doing good. Eating like pigs and gaining weight. Tomorrow will be day 30 in copper for the Carberryi and day 28 for the Randall. Both have been through 3 Prazi treatments so far, but will get one more for good measure. They also got a couple metroplex treatments and kanaplex treatments due to the damsel that is in QT with them getting popeye.. all cleared up now.

so I'm hoping these anthias are clean of any issues at this point.

couple weeks of observation (no meds) and hopefully they will be ready to go.
20220427_202405.jpg

20220427_203705.jpg

20220427_201906.jpg
What are you feeding? Do they take to prepared foods ok? I don't mind feeding a fish 4 times a day as long as they are eating..

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunburst needs a darker tank tho? Working on a mixed reef tank possibly with a couple sps in the future so my tank may be too bright?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I could keep a pair in a 53 gallon? Isn't it better to keep odd numbers tho?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? Do they take to prepared foods ok? I don't mind feeding a fish 4 times a day as long as they are eating..
My anthias were picky as heck while in QT. wouldn't touch any pellets, and were really picky even with frozen foods.
They really didn't like LRS nano frenzy or Rods foods, or even PE mysis. They really only seemed to like frozen brine while in QT.... so that is what I gave them for every meal. I would sometimes soak it in selcon, vitachem, or garlic. They would turn their nose up at most foods, but would eat frozen brine shrimp like crazy.

once I got them out of QT and into the main tank, their pickiness went away fast. I think the increase in competition from other fish for the food caused them to drop any pickiness on the spot. They really seem to love to eat and are really good and efficient at it.... Their love of food overcame whatever pickiness they showed in QT. Now they both eat like pigs whenever any food hits the tank.

I think the fears of feeding anthias are a bit overblown. Mine both eat like champs, no issues really. great fish.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunburst needs a darker tank tho? Working on a mixed reef tank possibly with a couple sps in the future so my tank may be too bright?
As long as you have rockwork with caves and overhangs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias were picky as heck while in QT. wouldn't touch any pellets, and were really picky even with frozen foods.
They really didn't like LRS nano frenzy or Rods foods, or even PE mysis. They really only seemed to like frozen brine while in QT.... so that is what I gave them for every meal. I would sometimes soak it in selcon, vitachem, or garlic. They would turn their nose up at most foods, but would eat frozen brine shrimp like crazy.

once I got them out of QT and into the main tank, their pickiness went away fast. I think the increase in competition from other fish for the food caused them to drop any pickiness on the spot. They really seem to love to eat and are really good and efficient at it.... Their love of food overcame whatever pickiness they showed in QT. Now they both eat like pigs whenever any food hits the tank.

I think the fears of feeding anthias are a bit overblown. Mine both eat like champs, no issues really. great fish.
That's good to hear. My local shop has quite a few anthias right now. I wouldn't be getting them for another like 4 weeks so I'll keep an eye on those. I was thinking of using the pictured food, I've heard good things but I'll keep frozen brine handy as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-210745_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805-210745_Brave.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27

slurpeee76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a bunch of anthias and one day i came home to see one of them changing color. i thought it was so cool but i was confused because i thought that there could only be one male in the tank. then i realized that i couldn't find the male, and finally found him under a rock beat up and taking its last breaths :(

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 94 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back