Any experience with scallops/clams and a lobster?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone successfully kept a purple reef lobster with a flame scallop or clam…without the lobster eating them? Can they close fast enough and swim away? I asked before and no one really answered. I was wondering if anyone had any experience.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know enough about reef lobsters to give you a good answer. . . But

Unless you are setting up the tank specifically for filter feeders, I would skip the scallop. The consensus is that in captivity they die quickly due to starvation (I didn’t do enough research before I bought mine (fish store said they were easy no problem)) and it lasted about 6 months (and I was target feeding it at times). I’m sure they can be kept in certain set ups, and maybe some people have better luck, but again the consensus is they die quickly in captivity.

Scallops can swim (clams can’t? at least as far as I know) but mine only ever hunkered down when disturbed, never really ran away.

I guess it would depend on how strong the lobsters claws are, how determined it is, and how hungry it is. . .

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless you are setting up the tank specifically for filter feeders, I would skip the scallop. The consensus is that in captivity they die quickly due to starvation (I didn’t do enough research before I bought mine (fish store said they were easy no problem)) and it lasted about 6 months (and I was target feeding it at times). I’m sure they can be kept in certain set ups, and maybe some people have better luck, but again the consensus is they die quickly in captivity.

Scallops can swim (clams can’t? at least as far as I know) but mine only ever hunkered down when disturbed, never really ran away.

I guess it would depend on how strong the lobsters claws are, how determined it is, and how hungry it is. . .
That's what i was thinking, excep I was thinking of me at Red Lobster. I enjoy lobster, the boss loves scallops and I catch clams to make fish food. The web of life, seafood is healthy and delicious. Good Luck. I think lobsters tend to be scavengers so if you feed them regularly it might not be an issue. Or get a 3D printed scallop guard/cage?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I do have a setup for filter feeders it just happens to have a purple lobster in it too. He’s fairly small only around 3 inches or so at least for now.
F2B09DB6-637C-4ACB-A585-94DDA9528866.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have a setup for filter feeders it just happens to have a purple lobster in it too. He’s fairly small only around 3 inches or so at least for now.
F2B09DB6-637C-4ACB-A585-94DDA9528866.jpeg
Awesome! Then the scallop my very well be an option? That said I still wonder if the lobster is strong enough to damage it?

Any lobster experts out there?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Then the scallop my very well be an option? That said I still wonder if the lobster is strong enough to damage it?

Any lobster experts out there?
I’d love to hear thoughts. I know they are supposed to be reef safe with caution and I’ve heard mixed things about them with fish. I know they are nocturnal and hunt at night and he enjoys eating the sea lettuce and small half shell clams I throw in every few days.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I’ve heard of people keeping them together successfully and since my lobster tank is set up for filter feeders I will be getting one today!:)
Photos are a must - I love the flame scallop and once kept one for 5 years. I wish I could keep another but I don’t have the time anymore unfortunately.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back