Any idea what's wrong with these zoas?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the terrible picture. I've had these zoas about one month now. They were awesome when I bought them at the LFS. Darth Mauls I was told. Now they are closing one by one.

At first it was just one. Thought it might have been stung by a hammer nearby. I've moved it all around and now even more are closing. They are closing in a strange way too.

I've dipped it Bayer in case of pests. I could try dipping again. I've moved to low light, high light, low flow and high flow and it just seems to get worse.

Any idea what's up and what to do? Thanks.

IMAG1906.jpg

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked them all tonight...

78.0 F
1.025 Sg
8.2 ph
0 nitrate
425 calcium
1330 Mag
6.9 alk

I don't have a phosphate test kit. Alk is a bit low but it's a new tank. I'm just sticking around 7 dkh right now and dosing by hand.

I only have a couple small fish so I don't feed much. I think chaeto in the fuge keeps nitrates down.

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer looks awesome and another colony of radioactive green zoas look awesome. I have a couple tiny zoas frags that are not great and then these have been great until recently.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is low but not alarming. Phos could be the other issue but without results hard to say. They don't require a whole lot. Low flow low to medium light.
It could also be a new tank syndrome.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked them all tonight...

78.0 F
1.025 Sg
8.2 ph
0 nitrate
425 calcium
1330 Mag
6.9 alk

I don't have a phosphate test kit. Alk is a bit low but it's a new tank. I'm just sticking around 7 dkh right now and dosing by hand.

I only have a couple small fish so I don't feed much. I think chaeto in the fuge keeps nitrates down.

I would try to keep them in medium light, medium flow and try not to mess with them. Continuously changing the light and flow could be stressing them out. And move them away from sweeper tentacles. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with 4 bulb T5 lights. They are moved toward the top at the moment in medium to higher flow and light. Hard to judge what is high vs medium flow and light. I'll leave them here and see how they respond.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back