Any ideas what this floating crud is?

Coolrthnme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently noticed this film/crud floating around my tank. Any ideas what it might be and how to get rid of it? I just did a water change a few days ago to try to get rid of it but nope.
Tank Info:
13.5 gallon Evo
InTank Chamber1 - filter floss, carbon, biomax
InTank Chamber2 - chemi pure blue, seachem purigen

3 live rocks
3 corals that are NOT growing (which is annoying) but look healthy

2 clowns (Donnie and Truman), 1 six line (Maggie), 1 tail spotted blenny (Dexter) and a lawnmower blenny (Frank) and a nice little CUC (snails, hermits, etc.)

I plan to get my water tested at my LFS as soon as I can get over there. The tests and strips I have seem to indicate everything is OK but now I'm wondering.....

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need something that surface skims. Possibly water level is too high if your sump isn't clearing it up.

OP
OP
Coolrthnme

Coolrthnme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need something that surface skims. Possibly water level is too high if your sump isn't clearing it up.
Yeah I was thinking I need something like that. Any suggestions for a skimmer for this tank? That way when I got to the LFS I can upgrade my lights and get a skimmer. :D

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking I need something like that. Any suggestions for a skimmer for this tank? That way when I got to the LFS I can upgrade my lights and get a skimmer. :D
Skimmer won't fix this issue. A HoB filter with surface skimmer and floss would work. Your sump should be doing that job though.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently noticed this film/crud floating around my tank. Any ideas what it might be and how to get rid of it? I just did a water change a few days ago to try to get rid of it but nope.
Tank Info:
13.5 gallon Evo
InTank Chamber1 - filter floss, carbon, biomax
InTank Chamber2 - chemi pure blue, seachem purigen

3 live rocks
3 corals that are NOT growing (which is annoying) but look healthy

2 clowns (Donnie and Truman), 1 six line (Maggie), 1 tail spotted blenny (Dexter) and a lawnmower blenny (Frank) and a nice little CUC (snails, hermits, etc.)

I plan to get my water tested at my LFS as soon as I can get over there. The tests and strips I have seem to indicate everything is OK but now I'm wondering.....

I have used the same salt for years. I just got a batch that does that in my mixing container, I have no idea what it is but tends to leave a pasty residue. Not happy about it but has not shown itself in my tank. Maybe?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like oil and/or protein (could be crud from mixing salt) left over from feeding. The surface skimmer suggestion is the best solution. Are you siphoning the water out? If so, you can angle the end of the siphon tube up, almost out of the water and it will suck the film right out.

OP
OP
Coolrthnme

Coolrthnme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like oil and/or protein (could be crud from mixing salt) left over from feeding. The surface skimmer suggestion is the best solution. Are you siphoning the water out? If so, you can angle the end of the siphon tube up, almost out of the water and it will suck the film right out.
I just did a water change but concentrated on the bottom. Next week I’ll try to siphon off some from the top though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Having an EVO 13.5 without a sump, any recommendations for a skimmer?

OP
OP
Coolrthnme

Coolrthnme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer won't fix this issue. A HoB filter with surface skimmer and floss would work. Your sump should be doing that job though.
My tank doesn’t have a sump. I was told it’s too small for that. But what’s and HoB filter? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question. I’m only 4 months into reefing. )

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank doesn’t have a sump. I was told it’s too small for that. But what’s and HoB filter? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question. I’m only 4 months into reefing. )
Hang on back

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a sump if you wanted to put in an overflow box. You can increase your water volume this way. Tunze makes their Comline skimmers and there are a couple you could choose from. They mount inside the tank and have great customer service. Bulk Reef Supply has new hob refugiums with built in skimmers too.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back