Any news on Hanna calcium calorimeter?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard anything about a release date on Hanna's calcium checker? The original reef builders article said it would be released shortly after the Alk meter, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard anything about a release date on Hanna's calcium checker? The original reef builders article said it would be released shortly after the Alk meter, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

I literally have Google alerts setup on anything new Hanna related. I have been waiting for this for a while. A few weeks back i updated the Hanna thread on here and CJO said its still a couple of months out? :( https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-reef-discussions/48866-lets-talk-about-hanna-meters-22.html

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My tesk kit is almost empty and I was hoping to hold off on buying another so I could spend it on the Hanna meter instead. Let us know if you hear anything about a tentative release date

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My tesk kit is almost empty and I was hoping to hold off on buying another so I could spend it on the Hanna meter instead. Let us know if you hear anything about a tentative release date

Will do...although i have a feeling once the word is out, it will spread like fire!! Calcium is the worst drop tester out there :wink: (in terms of effort)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the calcium monitors out there these days? I would think people would just use those if given the choice, but I am going to guess they are still pretty iffy in accuracy?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the calcium monitors out there these days? I would think people would just use those if given the choice, but I am going to guess they are still pretty iffy in accuracy?

I think the main problem is price. Pinpoint are expensive and i heard have accuracy issues since they need to be calibrated often.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem is more price and long term usability on probes for controllers. The Hanna calorimeters have all been in the neighborhook of $50 and use a reagent along with spectrum analysis. (At least I'm guessing that's how they measure levels. They have an LED & a sensor, so it could just be measuring the translucence of the water after the reagent is added)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main problem is price. Pinpoint are expensive and i heard have accuracy issues since they need to be calibrated often.

That's the main issue for me- that you have to calibrate them so often that there isn't much, if any, of a time savings versus running the test. The Hanna meter should be much better.

CJ

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem is more price and long term usability on probes for controllers. The Hanna calorimeters have all been in the neighborhook of $50 and use a reagent along with spectrum analysis. (At least I'm guessing that's how they measure levels. They have an LED & a sensor, so it could just be measuring the translucence of the water after the reagent is added)

IIRC, they actually measure the color change of the water rather than just how translucent it is.

CJ

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • D/C

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Both

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 9 18.8%
Back