Any regrets having pistol shrimp/goby pair?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now he's building a driveway in front of the burrow:

It would be interesting to put a bunch of lego bricks in the tank to see what he builds with them. ;)

CaptainNegatory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do just fine with my mandarin in a 30G Biocube. Only time I hear the pistol snap is when hermit crabs come in close to try and get some of his worms. But he can't generate enough pressure in a tank to do any harm. It's a cool noise to hear though!

The solution to never seeing the pair is to feed your tank live food. In addition to numerous other benefits all my fish come out for their back or white worms and if I sit still in front of the tank which I often do everyone comes to see if I've brought food.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a nice pair of yellow watchman that have paired up (and hopefully morphed their mature gender tissue, I'm seeing dimorphism so think they've changed). The shrimp hasn't found them yet, I'd like to see all three together

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a nice pair of yellow watchman that have paired up (and hopefully morphed their mature gender tissue, I'm seeing dimorphism so think they've changed). The shrimp hasn't found them yet, I'd like to see all three together
Yellow watchman gobies are among my all time favorite fish - especially in pairs!

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love for them to finally breed, I freak out every time they overeat and I see abdominal swelling.

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know if there is chance a purple fire goby will bond with a pistol shrimp?

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not an every pistol shrimp and every goby pair, in most cases each shrimp and goby is very specific about its pairing and will refuse anything except what would naturally occur.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I find with them is that my tank is 6' long and I had a spawning pair of shrimp living with a watchman gobi for a few years, maybe 5 I don't remember. But their tunnels span the entire tank and make 7" high piles of gravel. That gravel has to come from someplace and in doing so my entire reef structure used to move towards the front glass forcing me to try to move it back, which isn't very easy. My corals were touching the front glass because of them and I couldn't clean the glass. Besides that, I love them. :cool:

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thief.jpg I see my shrimp has been shopping again lol....

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them! First time was a tiger pistol....never again. Luckily it was a smaller tank and I removed all the rock to remove the tiger.

After that, always candy cane pistols. No problems!

CE54E99B-F5FD-46CB-A715-348394AEB654.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know if there is chance a purple fire goby will bond with a pistol shrimp?

My shrimp lived for around 7 years. He outlasted several gobies. During the last 6 months of his life he allowed my purple fire goby to live with him. I was worried at first. Now the shrimp is gone but the fire fish still uses his tunnels. I just try not to bury the opening during tank maintenance.

Shelley

playapixie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their relationship is one of the best things in my tank. Granted they aren’t out and about all the time, but it’s fun to see what they’ve been up to. They develop their tunnel system continually.

My YWMG lived 7 years in that pair and recently died. I got a Hi-Fin Goby to replace him, and they paired up within a day.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have 2 pairs in our house. No regrets! Love them.

Bigfishy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love watching out ywmg and tiger Pistol shrimp. We added both at a different time and didn’t see either one for almost a year. Then one day they moved to the front of the tank. When our tank crashed they were the only two that survived. They are my wife’s favorites. Don’t regret adding them as they are a blast to watch and we love hearing the poping noise.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the randal for the size. Mine came tiny and I was a bit concerned with pairing with the YWG that was multiple his size, but they paired just fine. the randal also doesn't seem to be a faster grower which is actually a plus in my tank (65g). They've been together for about 4 yrs now through 3 tank changes. I'm one of the lucky ones where the burrow is front and center where I can see them all the time. Mine hasn't been destructive in any sense with stealing frags/coral. They just tend to move sand around and I'll occasionally collapse the tunnel just to keep them busy in rebuilding. Wife says it's mean, but I'm giving it purpose . lol.
One thing that I found interesting is that I never saw the YWG eat anything for probably first year+. Enough that I had to research to see what the heck it was eating since it apparently gets enough to live. Was't until I started feeding tank frozen that I saw it eat. Wouldn't say it competes for food..lazy fish. Just hangs out as the optimistic eater.

Good pair! I also have mandrin, firefish and tailspot 8 others species in the same tank. zero aggression everyone just gets along. I named those since they are similar and I've heard of aggression but no issues for me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back