Any room for additional fish?

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've got a 24 gallon nanocube and wanted some input on if i could potentially fit another fish in my tank. Currently I've got a small gold nugget maroon clown (Maybe 2½" right now), a firefish pair, and a 3" longnose hawk. I have a protein skimmer and robust clean up crew, and do intend to upgrade to a much larger tank in the next couple years.
I figure I'm probably capped but was thinking I could maybe get one more open swimmer? My hawk perches on the rocks kind of all around, and my clown is glued to its nem which has settled towards the bottom front-right corner of the tank. The firefish occupy the back-right-bottom portion of the tank near their home in the liverock. I haven't noticed any territorial issues, everyone coexists pretty nicely. I'm thinking something like a Bangaii cardinal, midas blenny, or maybe an azure damsel? Something that would be fine swimming in the middle/top portion of the tank since everyone else is mostly towards the bottom.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way to actually know if you're "overstocked" is by watching your waste parameters (nitrate and phosphate).
If your waste parameters aren't climbing, you aren't overstocked.
If you add a fish or two and see your nitrate and phosphate climbing you need to increase waste export (skimmer, filter socks, filter roller, increase water changes, etc) or have fewer fish.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey all, I've got a 24 gallon nanocube and wanted some input on if i could potentially fit another fish in my tank. Currently I've got a small gold nugget maroon clown (Maybe 2½" right now), a firefish pair, and a 3" longnose hawk. I have a protein skimmer and robust clean up crew, and do intend to upgrade to a much larger tank in the next couple years.
I figure I'm probably capped but was thinking I could maybe get one more open swimmer? My hawk perches on the rocks kind of all around, and my clown is glued to its nem which has settled towards the bottom front-right corner of the tank. The firefish occupy the back-right-bottom portion of the tank near their home in the liverock. I haven't noticed any territorial issues, everyone coexists pretty nicely. I'm thinking something like a Bangaii cardinal, midas blenny, or maybe an azure damsel? Something that would be fine swimming in the middle/top portion of the tank since everyone else is mostly towards the bottom.
I have a single gold dot maroon clown in my IM nuvo 20g.
She has killed every single fish she's lived with after her 1 year mark.
These fish will become territorial in such a small tank, regardless. The only things that have survived Felicia are the mated pair of tiger pistols I still have in there.
I've had a yellow watchman goby, purple firefish, and yasha gobies. None lasted more than 6 months with her and I have stopped trying. Best of luck. I will no longer try to house any other fish with a single maroon clown.
You're better off trying to herd minnows.

OP
OP
KarlSharx

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single gold dot maroon clown in my IM nuvo 20g.
She has killed every single fish she's lived with after her 1 year mark.
These fish will become territorial in such a small tank, regardless. The only things that have survived Felicia are the mated pair of tiger pistols I still have in there.
I've had a yellow watchman goby, purple firefish, and yasha gobies. None lasted more than 6 months with her and I have stopped trying. Best of luck. I will no longer try to house any other fish with a single maroon clown.
You're better off trying to herd minnows.
Holy **** lol I really hope that isn't the case with mine. Mine is pretty small, only just now starting to get a little bit of gold around the face and tail, and only really gets territorial when i'm cleaning the glass near his spot. Hoping i can get a bigger tank by the time he gets bigger and more territorial. I do intend to pair him up once he's bigger and transitioned into female. Appreciate the input!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Holy **** lol I really hope that isn't the case with mine. Mine is pretty small, only just now starting to get a little bit of gold around the face and tail, and only really gets territorial when i'm cleaning the glass near his spot. Hoping i can get a bigger tank by the time he gets bigger and more territorial. I do intend to pair him up once he's bigger and transitioned into female. Appreciate the input!
I can almost guarantee that *he* is a she.
Females will grow larger and become more territorial. If you don't have a male (will be smaller than your female) then you will almost definitely end up with a female.
And yes, introduction of an anemone that will host your clown, will indeed make her more aggressive.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can almost guarantee that *he* is a she.
Females will grow larger and become more territorial. If you don't have a male (will be smaller than your female) then you will almost definitely end up with a female.
And yes, introduction of an anemone that will host your clown, will indeed make her more aggressive.

But aggressive in one spot…. Wait nano. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Good news is if a problem pops up, it will probably fix itself before you even know about it.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Suuure!!!! If you want to call the entire 20g tank "one spot"! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Dip any finger into Felicia's lair, then ask me my thoughts lol!!
I do love her, though.
She's a pretty little dragon
20230823_101143.jpg

OP
OP
KarlSharx

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suuure!!!! If you want to call the entire 20g tank "one spot"! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Dip any finger into Felicia's lair, then ask me my thoughts lol!!
I do love her, though.
She's a pretty little dragon
20230823_101143.jpg
Pretty! Here's my little nugget next to her BTA

Attachments

• 20230901_205126.jpg
    20230901_205126.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230901_205127.jpg
    20230901_205127.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
KarlSharx

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to pop in with an update, I ended up getting a Midas Blenny at the beginning of October. Everyone has been getting along very nicely. He's a chill dude that occupies the top 3rd of the water column during the day and at night he crams himself into one of the frag rack holes lol. Tanks parameters have been stable as well. I know my clown is going to grow with time but I'll be upgrading sooner rather than later, anyway.

Attachments

• 20231009_200304.jpg
    20231009_200304.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 19

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back