Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total junk I should have listened to everyone online. Avoid this filter.

@Adam Silversmith totally why I have been avoiding it. Yes it is a great concept, but not anywhere near ready for prime time with all of the issues that I have read just in this thread. Ok to be somewhat of a beta tester, but these issues do not bode will in my opinion.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite the issues I've had and the few snags I've dealt with, I'm overall happy with the product. It does need a few tweaks here and there, but by and large it's doing what it should. I won't ever go back to a sock after this.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite the issues I've had and the few snags I've dealt with, I'm overall happy with the product. It does need a few tweaks here and there, but by and large it's doing what it should. I won't ever go back to a sock after this.
I’m agree with you! I had only one problem with the controller (defect) but with the new one (free) everything works fine. With 750 g/h I estimate to run over 2 months with the same roll. It’s finished the cleaning socks task!

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new sump and will either go with the 7" version if it ever releases or the clarisea.

I have a pair of Clarisea 5000 units on a 250+ system and LOVE the performance. (They're set up in a 40g breeder upstream of my sump; see photos.) No problems at all, from start to finish on one roll and almost-finish on the other.

IMG_5504.jpg IMG_5505.jpg IMG_5506.jpg

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion many of us rush in and want the latest and greatest gear and often times there are many kinks that still need to be worked out by the manufacturer. In a way one can make a comparison to the latest Mac OS and all of the bugs they need to correct when they are released. I am still running High Sierra and will wait a long time before upgrading to Mojave. ;)

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion many of us rush in and want the latest and greatest gear and often times there are many kinks that still need to be worked out by the manufacturer. In a way one can make a comparison to the latest Mac OS and all of the bugs they need to correct when they are released. I am still running High Sierra and will wait a long time before upgrading to Mojave. ;)

Windows 7, baby...... Windows 7. Acrobat 9 and upgrading to Office Subscription was kicking and screaming because it was required when firm went to two-factor Outlook authentication.....

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my optical sensor into the shelf bracket. One less wire to worry about when I’m replacing the roll.

As far as the dual clarisea, it’s a great setup, if you have room for a sump for your sump. :)

This works for me and I’m capable enough of working around the kinks. Still better than sockless and mostly been hands free.

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger cr-44 and one klir. 10 days of flawlessness. Had to make a plate which I made the size of half the tray so it messed with my ato a little less. Had to trim the inside edge where the lid use to fit.
9AFD08D8-BB15-46CB-A128-E0964D554888.jpeg
5BFC4DA5-2DF6-4B72-A72E-579027325DE7.jpeg
500D0EC7-81C3-4810-B77E-3FA41BACBC05.jpeg
This was the first install, I turned it 90° since. Filter floss under overflow just in case.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Klir is a great unit - IF you can get it to fit in sump opening

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody have suggestions on how to keep tiny snails out of the Klir? Lately they have gotten into it and tear the filter... Its soo frustrating because the Klir works soo well without those little devils. They also wreak havoc on my mp10 but thats another story...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anybody have suggestions on how to keep tiny snails out of the Klir? Lately they have gotten into it and tear the filter... Its soo frustrating because the Klir works soo well without those little devils. They also wreak havoc on my mp10 but thats another story...
Unfortunately snails kling to any surface. You could place a 6 line wrasse in sump who should feast on them

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

was considering the klir but never thought about the snails. I have them too and they forced me to use foam guards on my mp10s.

I don't seem to get many if at all in my sump though. do you have a strainer in your overflow box? like a vertical one on the main drain before going to the sump. mine seems to keep the snails from falling down the pipe

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Adam Silversmith totally why I have been avoiding it. Yes it is a great concept, but not anywhere near ready for prime time with all of the issues that I have read just in this thread. Ok to be somewhat of a beta tester, but these issues do not bode will in my opinion.

I actually have tested and beta testing equipment for Coralvue and they do spend allot of time testing equipment. Believe me they do test allot and vigorously. Now there are always problems when a Product hits the market no matter what. Some times it is user error sometimes it isn't.

I believe some stuff is not tested by Coralvue because they are a importer/distributor and some manufacturers I believe do their own testing. I would bet Coralvue does some testing in house on most stuff. I do not work for Coralvue so I can not say for sure what happens behind the scenes.

I do own two Klirs which I purchased and was not a tester on. I did have one controller that was bad. Other than that is has worked well but I have not had it long either. Great concept where you just drop it in where the sock was and so easy to use. I really hope these turn out great for them because it is a great product.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
was considering the klir but never thought about the snails. I have them too and they forced me to use foam guards on my mp10s.

I don't seem to get many if at all in my sump though. do you have a strainer in your overflow box? like a vertical one on the main drain before going to the sump. mine seems to keep the snails from falling down the pipe
Yea i do have a strainer but these guys are tiny when they start out. Im thinking i might find a course sponge to put right before the Klir and physically create a barrier. I really dont want to maintain a sponge but until i can get these snails under control i need to do something!

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my KLIR DI-4 with the new motor. I'm getting about a month of use out of each roll and it fit perfectly in my waterbox sump. The 50 micron roll constantly rolling ends up with more things caught than the socks it replaced with a lot less maintenance

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea i do have a strainer but these guys are tiny when they start out. Im thinking i might find a course sponge to put right before the Klir and physically create a barrier. I really dont want to maintain a sponge but until i can get these snails under control i need to do something!

Malanurus wrasses are known to eat snails and sometimes 6 lines but 6 lines are mean.

There are other wrasses that are reef safe that have been know too eat snails also.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and Stomatella are a problem with these roller filters, they will tear the fleece, might not dislodge the roll but will put snares in the roll.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts on running dual Klir DI-4s.
I initially ran a single unit on an IceCap sump that had 2 sock holes. Covered one up and turned down the return pump to less than the specs for a single DI-4. (I don't really feel that this unit design can handle 750 gph)
Besides the numerous problems with this roller filter which is not really the subject for this posting, I was able to eek out 2.5 to 3 months on average for the 25 sq yd roll. Then a year into using the unit, I decided to add a 2nd unit and increase the flow rate just a tad up, maybe only 10% on the DC pump feeling now I had the filtering capacity.
9 months into using a second unit, I am still only getting the same 10 to 12 weeks on the fleece rolls so doubling the unit did not extend any more time in changing out the rolls in my situation and now I'm using 2 instead of 1 roll each change.
Needless to say, I went back down to 1 unit this weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back