Anyone breeding Orange Spotted Gobies?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair in a bare bottom 15 gal ( 150g total system)
Anyone with any experience or suggestions or links?
I have no experience with it, and I'm not an expert on this fish by any means, but a quick search says if you want to raise the fry then you'll need microfauna feeders (the one they recommend is small-strain rotifers). It may require a few different feeders, but I don't know what else you would need (small pods, mysis, and/or gut-loaded baby brine shrimp would probably be a good place to start). You'll probably need to provide constant or frequent access to the feeders.

If you're planning to culture the rots and other foods yourself, make sure to read up on how to do that, and it would likely be wise to have a backup culture (you would not be the first person to lose the fish fry because their food culture failed and they couldn't get another supply fast enough).

Make sure you don't have any mechanical pieces that could kill or remove the fry, and (assuming the mated pair are the only other fish in the tank) you may need to remove the parents to keep them from eating the fry (this is dependent largely on species, and I'm not sure with this particular species if this is an issue).

With most fish, you can expect casualties among the fry to be high, so don't be too disappointed if you lose most or all of a batch. If you lose multiple batches but everything seems fine (water quality wise and all), then you would probably want to make sure that your food cultures are good, and you would probably want to try offering different microfauna too.

I hope this helps!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate the reply, I can’t seem to find out if they must have the shrimp or, sand or not, rock or not. et…
this had a lil info but not much
Based on that, it looks like you don't need the shrimp, sand, or rocks, but they would probably help the gobies feel more comfortable (and thus be more likely to spawn).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 162 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%
Back