Anyone Else Sick of Actinic Only Pics?

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if this is just me.

I've noticed a HUGE trend, especially lately of vendors using Actinic Only pics to sell corals.

While I understand this is a great way to sell corals, it seems it is quickly becoming the norm.

My brother just bought some zoas from a vendor on here where the actinics made the coral look incredible (and indeed, under actinics in his tank they look very similar to the for sale pic), but under standard daylight it is among one of the ugliest zoas we have ever seen. The price tag on these were $75pp which would have never been paid by even a blind man had they been sold with a daylight pic.

It seems like some are starting to take advantage of the actinic 'color pop' to sell corals that don't actually look that great under daylight---which, by the way, is how I and I assume many others view their tanks at least 50%+ of the time.

I have noticed one vendor who actually posts the same pic as both daylight and actinic so that you can see both versions of the truth. I think that's a pretty nice way to go about business.

Sorry for the rant; I was just curious if anyone else is at the point where they see a for sale item under actinics only, sighs, and then wants to ask the next question: "how does it look under daylights?"

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I got some fire and Ice zoas for my tank, but I would only see the coloration during the blue only period of my tank; as soon as my lights cut on they were plain brown.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All part of marketing! I'm sure most, if not all, legit coral sellers would tell you their camera settings and light conditions if you were to ask. They are just trying to show their products is the best light (pun intended).

I always commented that if WD Tenuis looked the way it looked under "normal" tank lighting, I'd have a whole tank of just WD Tenuis. Otherwise, it's a nice looking brown acro!

OP
OP
mcola78

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually agree to actnics as a way to sell a coral that looks amazing under them. For example, Homewrecker is ridiculous under actinics so a shot to highlight that really helps. BUT, HW is still an amazing coral under daylights too. Anyone who. It's that coral from an actinic only phot won't be upset when the daylights come on.

I'm more concerned as it seems people are starting to use actinics to sell 100% of their livestock because it can make a coral look waaaaay better than it ever would under daylights. It's not Photoshop alterations, but, IMO, if you are using actinics to sell a coral for a premium that looks below average under daylights, you might as well be in a similar category.

OP
OP
mcola78

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always commented that if WD Tenuis looked the way it looked under "normal" tank lighting, I'd have a whole tank of just WD Tenuis. Otherwise, it's a nice looking brown acro!

WD is a PERFECT example of this. People were paying huge premiums for it under actinics and in daylight it is average at best. The price has dropped dramatically as a result.

Marketing is marketing, but on some level it's deceptive marketing when the product does not perform to expectations under other typical conditions.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I don't order online unless its from other reefers I can actually talk to and have them show me other pictures. Tidal Gardens shows the coral under all types of lighting which I like but haven't ordered from them before.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if this is just me.

I've noticed a HUGE trend, especially lately of vendors using Actinic Only pics to sell corals.

While I understand this is a great way to sell corals, it seems it is quickly becoming the norm.

My brother just bought some zoas from a vendor on here where the actinics made the coral look incredible (and indeed, under actinics in his tank they look very similar to the for sale pic), but under standard daylight it is among one of the ugliest zoas we have ever seen. The price tag on these were $75pp which would have never been paid by even a blind man had they been sold with a daylight pic.

It seems like some are starting to take advantage of the actinic 'color pop' to sell corals that don't actually look that great under daylight---which, by the way, is how I and I assume many others view their tanks at least 50%+ of the time.

I have noticed one vendor who actually posts the same pic as both daylight and actinic so that you can see both versions of the truth. I think that's a pretty nice way to go about business.

Sorry for the rant; I was just curious if anyone else is at the point where they see a for sale item under actinics only, sighs, and then wants to ask the next question: "how does it look under daylights?"

If venders are dishonest, or unreliable, we all need to know, so we don't buy from them. Then maybe they will clean up there act. Just because they can buy into this web sight, doesn't mean they are reliable. Dear mister moderator, are there standards required for vendors to join this web sight?

Feeling feisty today. LOL

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many corals look good under whiter lighting? And any that do look ok under whites prob look incredible under blues.

I run the AB+ schedule which is heavy blue/violet/uv and very little white. I know some people just don’t like blue lights and it’s personal preference but man everything looks so much better.

Actually that’s the real question. Is there a coral out there that looks better under white than blue?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised more are focusing on lighting than the known specimen itself within the trade. Most collectors know the difference between whatever spectrum the piece was photographed under vs true color or color potential of the piece, identified by name and/or physical traits. Especially with known, named pieces. I feel the decision lands in one of three categories: Believe the photo representation( or don’t, Be confident you can color the piece up even more with your skills, or simply just don’t buy it.

Last edited:

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many corals look good under whiter lighting? And any that do look ok under whites prob look incredible under blues.

I run the AB+ schedule which is heavy blue/violet/uv and very little white. I know some people just don’t like blue lights and it’s personal preference but man everything looks so much better.

Actually that’s the real question. Is there a coral out there that looks better under white than blue?

All of them, IMO. :)

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

purple stylophora, coralline algae, anything blue or purple...

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you successfully run a reef tank with only daylight bulbs t5? like 12000k? or even 6500k?

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like it's the old saying 'buyer beware" guys. replies in posts like these help buyers do just that.ive been tempted to buy expensive frags on line but have never done so for all the reasons in the above posts.i want to see a $100 frag in real time up close and personal.i do understand that's much easier said than done.
these sellers will continue to photograph and sell in this manner until buyers demand differently.

U

User1

View Badges
Don't support or buy from them. Or send them an email. Sooner or later they will catch a clue. If not they will go out of business. Then again, there are some who don't care and will pay $800 for a single zoa with some off the galaxy name /rollseyes. To each their own though - makes the world go round.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you successfully run a reef tank with only daylight bulbs t5? like 12000k? or even 6500k?

Yes. I've never run T5's. Old school reefer here....my first tank had a 5500K MH supplemented with actinic PC(just for color). I switched to a 6500K MH. I tried a 12,000K bulb too blue for my liking. I like a bright sunny reef. I now run a 10,000K LED fixture over my 29 gallon, grows stuff fine. It would be nice to have an addition purple to play with but my fixture is pretty basic.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a vendor, they are of course going to show their product in the best light possible. No different from jewelry stores using their LEDs to make the jewelry sparkle. All you can do is ask for a pic under different lighting.

Back