Anyone enjoy woodworking?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the DIY and custom stands on here I figured a few if not a lot of you enjoy woodworking. When I have the time I like to make things. Built this today. A shelf for my bedroom.
image.jpeg
I'm trying a finish to look like aged barn wood on it. Never done it before but I like the look and it was easy to do. I figure if I don't like it I can just paint over it. It will darken as it dries.
image.jpeg
I would love to see some project you guys have done and maybe some ideas for future projects.

-Kevin

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would chime in as I love playing with wood. I didn't want to get up from my favorite chair, so I figured I would share items I've made that I could get a picture of sitting here watching the game. First is a coffee table:

The custom built in shelving you see in the background is another one of my projects. Hard to tell from picture, but the wall is about 14', then cuts the corner of the room where the TV is built in to look like a fireplace, then continues down the next wall for a couple more feet.

The "antique" buoy's on the right most shelf are not actually old, but something I made for my wife a couple months ago.

And to keep the fish theme, I happen to have a picture (because I took it only a few hours ago) of a stand I completed this afternoon (except the finishing) for my neighbor.

As I said, I love playing in sawdust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would chime in as I love playing with wood. I didn't want to get up from my favorite chair, so I figured I would share items I've made that I could get a picture of sitting here watching the game. First is a coffee table:

The custom built in shelving you see in the background is another one of my projects. Hard to tell from picture, but the wall is about 14', then cuts the corner of the room where the TV is built in to look like a fireplace, then continues down the next wall for a couple more feet.

The "antique" buoy's on the right most shelf are not actually old, but something is made for my wife a couple months ago.

And to keep the fish theme, I happen to have a picture (because I took it only a few hours ago) of a stand I completed this afternoon (except the finishing) for my neighbor.

As I said, I love playing in sawdust.
Awesome work man! I think my next project is going to be a coffee table. Trying to source some reclaimed lumber for it.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my original plan...to use old barn wood, or at least reclaimed lumber of some sort. Very difficult to find in my part of Florida....there aren't many barns here!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my original plan...to use old barn wood, or at least reclaimed lumber of some sort. Very difficult to find in my part of Florida....there aren't many barns here!
Waiting to see how this barn wood treatment works for the shelf I did. I know it won't be anything like legitimate barn wood but hopefully it will look good. I have a few places around to check out for barn wood, just have to get a plan and save some cash. That stuff can get kinda pricey.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely pricey. I did find a guy on the other coast that was selling some reclaimed lumber (I assume he brought it in from somewhere up north), but he was a little too proud of his stock. Funny part is my wife told me to pay him what he wanted, but I just couldn't justify the cost for a contemporary "rustic" coffee table.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely pricey. I did find a guy on the other coast that was selling some reclaimed lumber (I assume he brought it in from somewhere up north), but he was a little too proud of his stock. Funny part is my wife told me to pay him what he wanted, but I just couldn't justify the cost for a contemporary "rustic" coffee table.
That's what I'm seeing. Guys with a lot of it laying around asking $10 a board foot and up. I guess they don't realize it's not worth anything if no ones buying it because it's too expensive.

Here's a test piece I did with the treatment. It gets darker as it dries. This has been drying for about 5 hours. Not too bad
image.jpeg

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love working with wood. Don't have any pictures handy but figured I'd throw it out there that I live in Maine and the barn to house ratio is like 2-1 lol
I haven't recently checked any prices but a lot of the time you can get old barn wood for just tearing down the barn or just to get the wood out of their yard.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I'm going to steal this idea, like it alot!!!
image-jpeg.270021

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a buddy that goes thru the hassle with old pallets but makes some amazing stuff. Those previous look great. 20150928_185940.jpg

Heres a chicken coup I just finished - not premo woodwork but a woodwork project.
Nice work man! I love fresh eggs

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I'm going to steal this idea, like it alot!!!
image-jpeg.270021
Go for it! It was really simple. It's all 1x4's and everything is pocket screwed and glued together. Probably overkill but why not.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a buddy that goes thru the hassle with old pallets but makes some amazing stuff. Those previous look great.

Will post pictures tonight of some pallet projects. That danged "Pinterest" my wife loves so much brought me to the world of used pallets!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back