Anyone have the Bubble Magus Roller Filter?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into this last night, but I think it will be a tight squeeze. My drain chamber is 16" x 10" but I also have a 6" x 8" skimmer in there so really the area for it is about 10" x 10". If anyone owns it, do you know if it's possible to put the motor onto the other side (the side with the water inlet) because that would save a lot of space. I can't find anything online about it. The Klir and ClariSea are smaller, but also significantly more expensive (I need the "holder" for the Klir as well).

Thanks

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to know the GPH. Can’t find it anywhere. 1” inlet so guessing 500?

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to know the GPH. Can’t find it anywhere. 1” inlet so guessing 500?

There is absolutely zero information out there other than one quick video a vendor did. Just a bad product launch I’m on here every day and the only reason I know this thing exists is because I tripped over it researching the compact Theiling. If you look for info on the ClariSea there are a ton of manufacturer videos, instructions online, etc.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $200 its the least expensive roller filter I've seen. Although larger, the quality looks on par with Clarisea. I saw on their facebook page that the fabric is 20 micron. If you speak German or Spanish, you might find the following videos useful. If not they still give a good idea on the workings of the unit. I don't believe you can move the motor as it would be spinning the wrong way on the opposite side of the unit. However in the second video, it shows that the inlet can be moved to the opposite side which should give you the same result. If you end up going with one, be sure and post a review for us ;Happy

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $200 its the least expensive roller filter I've seen. Although larger, the quality looks on par with Clarisea. I saw on their facebook page that the fabric is 20 micron. If you speak German or Spanish, you might find the following videos useful. If not they still give a good idea on the workings of the unit. I don't believe you can move the motor as it would be spinning the wrong way on the opposite side of the unit. However in the second video, it shows that the inlet can be moved to the opposite side which should give you the same result. If you end up going with one, be sure and post a review for us ;Happy

Hey thanks for that second video, I never found that one, I did find the German ones.

Ok so if you can move the inlet that sort of would accomplish the same thing but I still have less room on that side for the motor. He measures it at 40cm x 26cm which is 15.75" x 10.25". If I can move the inlet to the other side that is saving a couple inches and he included the brackets so the actual dimensions are about 13.5" x 9.5" or so.

I guess my only concern then is how low the sump water level is in comparison to where the unit actually hangs and how much noise it makes from trickling water. I would like to have it mostly submerged so it is quiet. I could have it lower and have the motor inside the sump walls but then may not have room for the skimmer. I guess I won't know for sure until I try it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody translate what the Spanish speaking guy is saying at the 4:15 mark? It really looks to me like he is saying the motor can go on the other side. It's the second video above.

Thanks

Edit - If you look at 4:40 there's even a cutout for the float switch wire. So it can go on both sides. Sweet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just got this thing today. It seems pretty well built overall, although the weld on the little mounting L bracket for the float switch came undone from rough shipping I would presume but it was easily fixed with some glue. I will try and get it in this weekend at some point and report back with how it all works and what not.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just got this thing today. It seems pretty well built overall, although the weld on the little mounting L bracket for the float switch came undone from rough shipping I would presume but it was easily fixed with some glue. I will try and get it in this weekend at some point and report back with how it all works and what not.

Excited to see your review.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagerly following along. Be sure and include your flow rate if possible. I've switched to 50 micron filter padding in place of my filter socks to "pre-clean" the water as much as possible in preparation for the future roller filter.

cldormer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Typical of BM products. Prepare to replace it after a few months/maybe a year. Just my experience with their skimmers.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don’t know how many of you guys have been following my cyano thread but I kind of posted an update in there. The day after I got this thing my power went out for 27 hours. Long story short I lost four of my six fish and pretty much all of my acropora. I do have a generator, I can’t really run it at night living in the suburbs and that led to all sorts of problems. I’m going to get some high temp hose and next time run it in the garage overnight with the hose on the exhaust going outside. I do also have a battery backup but before I could even get the generator going (four hours) I had lost two of the fish, I guess I did not have enough surface agitation from the remaining working powerhead. Very frustrating. So now I have hooked up a second powerhead on the backup.

Anyway, I am not ready to give up yet so I installed this thing yesterday. I’m not kidding if I had about 1/4-1/2” less room in three different dimensions, it wouldn’t have fit :cool:. My skimmer cup just barely touches a brand new roll so I put it on 1/2” spacer to buy about 1/8” and when the roll moves a bit it will have more room.

Anyway it was only been running 24 hours now but it is a neat product. I set it up so the water level inside only has to raise about 3/4” to trip the float switch and because of that it is very quiet, near silent. You can hear it from 2-3 feet away with the doors open but stand back or close the doors and absolutely nothing. It only rolls a very small amount, about a 1/2 second of motor run each time which is maybe an inch of roll at the most.

So longevity of course is to be determined, but for now I am happy with the product for sure. Other than the L bracket coming apart in shipping which was a dead simple fix the build quality seems fine to good. For 2/3 or so the cost of other options in which the jury is still out on the long term reliability as well, it is not a bad choice in my eyes.

Edit - someone asked earlier about flow rate, I am not 100% sure I have never actually measured it but I should be in the 300 - 350 gph range. I have a Tunze 1073.02 with about four feet of head pressure.

Last edited:

Free7bird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been a couple weeks since you got it up and running. How are things going and what’s your opinion of it. Thinking of getting one and trying to find out more about it.

ethom0816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one trying to figure a new sump for it any tips would be awesome

ethom0816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I I've had mine up any running for a week seems to work pretty good bearly used anything on that roll yet maybe 6 8 inches
d82f69931db1623c54f4a5c41393b127.jpg

AlbinoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine running on my 200gal for one month now, It is in the middle of the roll now. It has been great since I installed it, and I think it will last about 2 months. Before I was changing filters sock every 5 days.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine running on my 200gal for one month now, It is in the middle of the roll now. It has been great since I installed it, and I think it will last about 2 months. Before I was changing filters sock every 5 days.
200g wow. That's impressive for a $200 roller filter. Do you know what your GPH is?

AlbinoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know exactly. All I can tell is I have a jebao DCP-10000 running at 40%, so I suppose it has to be around 900-1000 gph

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 135 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back