Anyone kept or keeping seahorses with any success??

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have always thought a seahorse tank would be a lot of fun - We are starting to seriously think about setting one up. So I am looking for some advise. Species that may be better than others - some Do Not do's etc. We will research this for a while before jumping in and possibly killing some of these cool little creatures.

Thanks in advance

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding good stock is key, make sure they eat frozen foods before you buy them from your LFS. Otherwise you will have to find Live Foods, not much of a problem these days you can get Tiger Pod or start your own culture of Mysids. Good Luck

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.seahorsesource.com is the only place I would ever recommend.

I very much agree with www.seahorsesource.com being a great place. I have a wholesale contract with them that people can order from me and they ship directly from SS to you. They carry some larger and harder to find species that will take frozen foods without problems. The dwarf seahorses are great, but because of their size they really require live baby brine shrimp and copepods to eat. That makes them more difficult to take care of.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept and breed horses for a little while. By far the 2 easiest in my opinion are Hippocampus erectus and Kuda's. They are alot easier than you think to keep. A low flow tank that is tall is best. Lighting does not matter but you can grow softies pretty easy with horses. You don't need a skimmer or a sump. I ran mine with just a hang on back skimmer and a small powerhead. I would look for someone selling captive breed horses. they are pretty easy to find as well. Try seahorse.org as well.

If you have any more questions i would be happy to help.

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info and the links!! I will do some more reading and get back with you I am sure. I think I might try either PC's or T-5's. That way I can keep some softies or maybe LPS with them. I was hoping I could keep the equipment simple So it is good to hear I could use a hob skimmer and low flow power heads. Are they fast growers?

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo they reach a certain size and stay that way for a while. Erectus can get pretty big. I have seen some that were 5 inches, mine where about 3 inches and breed all the time!

I had pc's over my tank with plenty of softies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back