Anyone know what this is

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell what this is there’s more every day on him

IMG_0981.jpeg IMG_0979.jpeg IMG_0978.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg IMG_0970.jpeg IMG_0967.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - the initial spots look too big to ICH - second the smaller spots look like Ich - can you give more info? @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can anyone tell what this is there’s more every day on him

IMG_0981.jpeg IMG_0979.jpeg IMG_0978.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg IMG_0970.jpeg IMG_0967.jpeg
These are typical with tangs, tetras and scats and are Mucus cones which often stems from previous copper use or previous skin irritation from as simple as ich. there is likely some ich mixed in there and In turn they develop excess mucus from the producing skin cells and rises up as a cone or a plug in lieu of spreading across body. Best treatment is Hyposalinity at 1.009 for 3-4 weeks but this fish is ok with copper treatment at 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If no other fish have this- observe another day or two but have a treatment plan ready in case additional dots have developed

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are typical with tangs, tetras and scats and are Mucus cones which often stems from previous copper use or previous skin irritation from as simple as ich. there is likely some ich mixed in there and In turn they develop excess mucus from the producing skin cells and rises up as a cone or a plug in lieu of spreading across body. Best treatment is Hyposalinity at 1.009 for 3-4 weeks but this fish is ok with copper treatment at 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If no other fish have this- observe another day or two but have a treatment plan ready in case additional dots have developed
Thanks, none of the other fish display this but I lost a giant brown shoulder tang I had for 4 years and broadtail wrasse that was 9 inches, along with 2 butterflies and a clown. Only signs on them was fast breathing and no appetite, Can't separate any due to their size and no accommodation bat fish is about 14 inches. This is DT fish only any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - the initial spots look too big to ICH - second the smaller spots look like Ich - can you give more info? @Jay Hemdal
Thanks, none of the other fish display this but I lost a giant brown shoulder tang I had for 4 years and broadtail wrasse that was 9 inches, along with 2 butterflies and a clown. Only signs on them was fast breathing and no appetite, Can't separate any due to their size and no accommodation bat fish is about 14 inches. This is DT fish only any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week 7 days, this has been going on for 3 years now or better in my DT, I can't tell you how many time I ran copper power for 30 days at 2.5 along with running hypo twice and CP once. After the treatment the tank is clean then about 8 weeks later this happens again

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week 7 days, this has been going on for 3 years now or better in my DT, I can't tell you how many time I ran copper power for 30 days at 2.5 along with running hypo twice and CP once. After the treatment the tank is clean then about 8 weeks later this happens again

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it showed up Last week 7, this has been going on for 3 years now or better in my DT, I can't tell you how many time I ran copper power for 30 days at 2.5 along with running hypo twice and CP once. After the treatment the tank is clean then about 8 weeks later this happens again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have inverts in your tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I recognize your name, this has been a chronic issue. I'm not sure what is going on - the issue seems to respond to treatment, but then returns on you. The rapid breathing and deaths are not likely related to the skin lesions the batfish is showing - those could be mucus cones as said, or they could be a mix of that and damaged scales. Batfish are also prone to a few skin parasites that other fish don't get - copepods and leeches. Based on the number of spots on the fish though, that is not a primary concern right now....fish loss and rapid breathing is.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I recognize your name, this has been a chronic issue. I'm not sure what is going on - the issue seems to respond to treatment, but then returns on you. The rapid breathing and deaths are not likely related to the skin lesions the batfish is showing - those could be mucus cones as said, or they could be a mix of that and damaged scales. Batfish are also prone to a few skin parasites that other fish don't get - copepods and leeches. Based on the number of spots on the fish though, that is not a primary concern right now....fish loss and rapid breathing is.

Jay
Do you think Ruby Reef Rally would be helpful?

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Any suggestion on treatment started copper safe few days ago

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think Ruby Reef Rally would be helpful?

I don't see how that product would be more effective than what has been tried so far (copper, prazi and hypo).

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see how that product would be more effective than what has been tried so far (copper, prazi and hypo).

Jay
My only comment would be - it seems like copper (assuming the testing, etc is correct) - is not working?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only comment would be - it seems like copper (assuming the testing, etc is correct) - is not working?
Well, as I recall in this case over the months, the treatments *do* work, but then the fish relapses. That can be due to a breach in biosecurity, or from incomplete treatments. Ruby Reef seems a more mild treatment, it isn't a strong product, I only suggest it in cases where people can't get formalin from Brook, and then, I think it is a second best choice sort of thing....

In this case, I'd opt to suggest something stronger (but riskier) like a high dose chloroquine treatment.....

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back