Anyone knowledgeable with building acrylic aquariums?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums
@Joe Glass Cages

These 2 can probably help any other questions.

Corey
Thank you. I have never heard of Tenecor aquarium before this thread. I have definitely heard of glass cages, and I have them in mind if I go for a professionally made tank.

I'm old enough to remember that plywood tanks used to be a thing. Certainly not as slick looking as a pristine new acrylic tank, but it's a cost saving option that I'm now weighing against an acrylic tank.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built myself a decent size sump 100 gal

For $450 local shop did straight cuts and I did the weir with a router.

Weldon is eat easier than caulk. Better to oversize the walls and brace than have stressed corners.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built myself a decent size sump 100 gal

For $450 local shop did straight cuts and I did the weir with a router.

Weldon is eat easier than caulk. Better to oversize the walls and brace than have stressed corners.
Thank you for your reply!

You mentioned caulk, and I want to be clear that I do know NOT to use silicon for acrylic ;-)

I was sure I could cut the weir with router, but thanks for verifying!

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply!

You mentioned caulk, and I want to be clear that I do know NOT to use silicon for acrylic ;-)

I was sure I could cut the weir with router, but thanks for verifying!
Right my tank is glass did use caulk there lol

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I help?
Thanks for your reply, Joe! I was just kicking around the idea of trying to build an acrylic tank, and was just asking who here has done it before. I'm weighing the cost of building my own, buying one from you, or maybe just going with a plywood tank and this point. I'm definitely a budget reefer, and while purchasing a tank would obviously be best, I was hoping I could save some money by going DIY. I'm considering acrylic over glass because between my wife and I we can't lift and move a glass tank of the size I'm hoping for (about 90 gallons).

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 300 gallon acrylic that’s Half inch and 30 inches tall. So ya 3/8 is plenty for 22.
What’s the other dimensions on that tank? It’s gotta have a nice bow in at 8ft long.. that’s under built in my opinion.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a teenager, I built an 80 gal (48x18 footprint x 16 high) with my dad in his home workshop. He’s a pro woodworker and did a pro job cutting every piece square and routing the glue edges smooth. Then I helped assemble it. Tank was 1/4”, which did bow a bit on the height despite a Euro brace. But the tank held water and was a nice reef for about 5 years until I broke it down and sold it. If we could do it, you likely can too! Acrylic is pretty forgiving

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I’ve been watching videos about building acrylic tanks today, and I do think I can do it. I’m thinking I’d start by making something small like an ATO reservoir and progress from there. This is all assuming the cast acrylic material isn’t prohibiting expensive for me.

Where do you guys suggest I look for the acrylic?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I’ve been watching videos about building acrylic tanks today, and I do think I can do it. I’m thinking I’d start by making something small like an ATO reservoir and progress from there. This is all assuming the cast acrylic material isn’t prohibiting expensive for me.

Where do you guys suggest I look for the acrylic?
What size did you settle on? We have precut diy kits we sell to fabricators. Let me see if I can get them to sell one to you. If you want to give it a try let me know. Our kit edges are +/- 2 mm flat level and true. They also come complete with polycarbonate lids and feed cups.
IMG_6929.jpeg

IMG_7043.jpeg

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 30” tall? It would have some deflection!
Yea I was kind of wondering about that myself.
Using an on line calculator the recommended thickness with bracing is 2x that 1/2".
BUT if one compares it to glass in this case it assumes no bracing it is close to that 1/2" thickness, well .706". Using the assumption that acrylic can be thinner than glass for the same strength that 1/2" now becomes reasonable especially with bracing.

Trying to understand the discrepancies..
Assumed tank is approx 96"L x 30"H x 24"W.

Of course an on line calculator will probably be conservative but over 2X?
Even at 24"(H) and braced they recommend 1" (25mm Cast)
glassvsacrylic.JPG

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was kind of wondering about that myself.
Using an on line calculator the recommended thickness with bracing is 2x that 1/2".
BUT if one compares it to glass in this case it assumes no bracing it is close to that 1/2" thickness, well .706". Using the assumption that acrylic can be thinner than glass for the same strength that 1/2" now becomes reasonable especially with bracing.

Trying to understand the discrepancies..
Assumed tank is approx 96"L x 30"H x 24"W.

Of course an on line calculator will probably be conservative but over 2X?
Even at 24"(H) and braced they recommend 1" (25mm Cast)
glassvsacrylic.JPG
I'm am going to write an article on this soon. Everyone has an opinion on this. We have built literally thousands of tanks like this with no bowing issues. This is why kids wading pools can be ultra thin plastic because they are not very high. Yes, acrylic will deflect, so does glass. Please note the circled area in the image below on your online calculator.

IMG_9298.jpeg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am going to write an article on this soon. Everyone has an opinion on this. We have built literally thousands of tanks like this with no bowing issues. This is why kids wading pools can be ultra thin plastic because they are not very high. Yes, acrylic will deflect, so does glass. Please note the circled area in the image below on your online calculator.

IMG_9298.jpeg
Oh yea I saw that but, oddly, it is a choice in the calculator. Braced or Open. So my assumption was it was factored in. Shifting from braced to open only drops it one notch.

I believe the Acrylite calc is too conservative but for DIY that can be a good thing.
Like I said it isn't the difference but the magnitude that is troublesome.
And if you can "do" glass unbraced at 3/4" I assume 1/2" acrylic is fine as well.

If one uses wire size calculators it is the same thing.. The "recommended" is over what "reality" can use.. ;)

On your web site you have a pic of a commercial tank using 1" and , though the dimensions aren't listed, looks to be about 36" tall. Yes 36" isn't 30".. but it's like 2 tanks really:)

tenecor.JPG

To be honest, IF I was looking to do this project to that scale I'd probably split the difference and go w/ 3/4 braced.

Last edited:

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea I saw that but, oddly, it is a choice in the calculator. Braced or Open. So my assumption was it was factored in. Shifting from braced to open only drops it one notch.

I believe the Acrylite calc is too conservative but for DIY that can be a good thing.
And if you can "do" glass unbraced at 3/4" I assume 1/2" acrylic is fine as well.

If one uses wire size calculators it is the same thing.. The "recommended" is over what "reality" can use.. ;)

On your web site you have a pic of a commercial tank using 1" and , though the dimensions aren't listed, looks to be about 36" tall. Yes 36" isn't 30".. but it's like 2 tanks really:)

tenecor.JPG

To be honest, IF I was looking to do this project to that scale I'd probably split the difference and go w/ 3/4 braced.
That petsmart tank? 48 inches. 1 inch. Almost zero deflection. Built several dozen of those until they realized it was too difficult to maintain. Worker's comp issues if I remember. Associates climbing up step ladders. Reaching Waaay over into a four foot deep tank. What can go wrong?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tenecor.JPG

Going thicker just to be "on the safe side" causes other problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back