Anyone modified the 5G water jugs?

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rodi system under the kitchen sink. I usually just run the line into the jug and turn it on. Problem is that it takes a couple hours and we’ve forgotten about it a few times. Not great with wood floors.
Anyone modified these to be a little safer?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could put a simple float valve on it that shuts off the water when it reaches the top but these can inevitably fail. That would be the cheapest way to modify a bucket. All sorts of options if you want to start adding solenoids and level sensors as well.

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could fill the jug in the sink or a bathtub, so even if it overflows it just goes down the drain.
I had some short tubing on the outlet side of the RO so I’ve been filling it on the floor. I recently got a 20g brute and added a bunch of length. I realized I was being stupid and it reaches to the sink now...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a float valve in mine. Shuts the flow down automatically

corey
=I do too. I made a float switch from a mercury switch in a thermostat which shuts off an electric valve that fills the container. The container is hanging from the ceiling near my tank and feeds a float switch on the tank so everything is automatic and I never have to touch anything.

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a hole in the lid and put a float in it. I have 2 jugs and always have 5 g ready for mixing salt I just swap the lids leaving tube and float intact.

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 36

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
=I do too. I made a float switch from a mercury switch in a thermostat which shuts off an electric valve that fills the container. The container is hanging from the ceiling near my tank and feeds a float switch on the tank so everything is automatic and I never have to touch anything.
I was thinking that it would be hard to find one nowadays because most all thermostats are electronic but a quick search on amazon proved me wrong. I did like playing with them as a kid.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this would help. You can program the exact amount of water you need and just hit the go button.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hose timer. You have to get rodi to garden hose adapters but it works fine and is reliable.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tote large enough to fit two 5 gallon jugs. I put them in it when filling. If I forget and it overflows? It goes in the tote. Cheap and effective.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of these. The sensor easily fits inside the mouth of the jug

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rodi system under the kitchen sink. I usually just run the line into the jug and turn it on. Problem is that it takes a couple hours and we’ve forgotten about it a few times. Not great with wood floors.
Anyone modified these to be a little safer?

I highly recommend one of these. I use it to fill my Brute to various levels as well as 5G jugs.

Gmantu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could fill the jug in the sink or a bathtub, so even if it overflows it just goes down the drain.
I fill my jugs in a brute trash can. That way if I don’t catch them in time they overflow into the can which I was planning on filling anyways.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 105 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back