Anyone running a Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 on a closed loop or externally?

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to set one of these up as a closed loop pump on a new tank I am working on. Anyone have any experience with running these externally. No problems with leaking from plastic housing? Noise levels?

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run mine submerged in my sump. No noise, don't worry about leaks. Helps with heating tank.
Yeah I understand for in sump. What I was referring to would be an externally plumbed pump for a closed loop under the tank display.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand for in sump. This would be an externally plumbed pump for a closed loop under the tank display.
Mine is a closed loop, I just run the pump submerged. It takes care of the concerns you listed.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running my in my sump too. It’s a workhorse. 25 foot run 12 foot rise for 6 years now and lately I’ve been running it at 57% with a RFG because my lps hate it. Can’t help with the external part of your question.

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. My sump will be in a basement fish room 12 feet below so I definitely want to keep it near the display tank but there will be no filtration/sump in the stand. How do you like the plastic locking ring on the impeller housing. That was my main concern in leaking since most other pumps use screws.

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. My sump will be in a basement fish room 12 feet below so I definitely want to keep it near the display tank but there will be no filtration/sump in the stand. How do you like the plastic locking ring on the impeller housing. That was my main concern in leaking since most other pumps use screws.
Mine is in the basement. I don't mind the locking ring. I have trouble taking apart most any pump. I think I've only taken this one apart maybe 3x in six years, no issues so far. I think I might have had a few teeth on the impeller knocked out but no noticeable rattle or vibration so I've just kept running it...

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah they seem to get good reviews so I am definitely interested in one or two.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to set one of these up as a closed loop pump on a new tank I am working on. Anyone have any experience with running these externally. No problems with leaking from plastic housing? Noise levels?
These are great pumps. We do exactly the same thing with them. Externally closed loops. No problems.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another happy user here, running dual 9's in sump for two years at about 50%, hassle free (one was brand new and one was used and of unknown age)

App is quite good and they are now integrated with hydros too

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
another happy user here, running dual 9's in sump for two years at about 50%, hassle free (one was brand new and one was used and of unknown age)

App is quite good and they are now integrated with hydros too
Excellent...seems like these are very underrated pumps.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much so. I have one as my primary return pump in my sump in the basement returning water 1 floor up to my DT. Basically zero maintenance in 2.5 years.

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very much so. I have one as my primary return pump in my sump in the basement returning water 1 floor up to my DT. Basically zero maintenance in 2.5 years.
How well does that work? How many feet in between floors?

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are quite, easy to clean, and the warranty is solid. Customer service is top notch, they respond to emails quickly and if you have a problem they will resolve it. Be careful with the plastic insert that screws into the ring cap. Its like an abs plastic and i cracked one using too much force. Other than that which was my fault, you will be getting a solid pump. I use both 9.0 ADV and a 6.0 SDC. love them both

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back