Anyone running closed loops instead of wave pumps??

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously debating trying to make a closed loop hybrid system of sorts. Haven't really thought much about it at all but with all these controllable DC pumps out now I'm sure I can rig something up with a much better and consistent flow and less maintenance than having all these ugly eye sore wave pumps.

Hiding it and having it still be effective on a tank that's not drilled for it is the obstacle.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is but if you are doing sps you still going to need power heads

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will be tough to get flow every were as corals grow

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate power heads cause as you said they are ugly. I fought it for years of not doing them but eventually I had to do them. My main pump is a reeflo dart for the closed loop and then I also have a reeflo Marlin for the chiller

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate power heads cause as you said they are ugly. I fought it for years of not doing them but eventually I had to do them. My main pump is a reeflo dart for the closed loop and then I also have a reeflo Marlin for the chiller

Those are pretty large pumps. I would think with enough inlets pointing in different directions it should flow well.

What size tank do you have? How many inlets?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
180. Have four on the bottom that each split into a pair. You can check my tank thread to get an idea

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I was thinking about running about 10 or so and my tank is only 4 feet. The more I think about it, I could throw some nuclear green zoas on the PVC and have it completely hidden in like 6 months ;)

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180. Have four on the bottom that each split into a pair. You can check my tank thread to get an idea

Well after the 4 years or so I have on my current set up, that just about makes me want to throw in the towel or completely start over from scratch.

Your tank is ridiculously amazing. I have to post it for others that may not go looking for it.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow thank you. No you are not going to throw the towel, I don't consider my tank anything special. My tank is a working progress, what I find good about a closed loop is that the tank have cross currents from below that you can't get with power heads only which I think make a difference. Thank you for your compliments really appriciated

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about rigging up a surge type setup?
I did and I actually have a great bucket that would be awesome for that. I don't know if I could get past all the bubbles that come with it though. I've seen a few of those, it is brilliant if there was a way to eliminate the bubbles.

Suicideissleep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze wave box?

Just remember the more holes the less pressure unless you add more pumps

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how a CL makes sense vs hiding pumps in the tank in 2016. Pumps in the tank are incredibly more efficient if you pick good ones. (Popular ≠ Good) Closed loops are incredibly inefficient and immovable. They are from before the era of propellor pumps.

Being able to move and aim a pump wherever you need it are crucial features....features which some pumps are better at than others. (...and which some pumps lack altogether)

Some ideas in case hiding a pump (for real) is really necessary:
Images for tunze rock

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten x return w two ph simple. Stock parts. Loop provides main laminar flow ph add turbulance. I did have it set as a gyre. Or raceway as the kids seem to call it.
Been thinking about surging the loop pump.
And yea. It beats up the water pretty hard on the sticks.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back