Anyone still using bio pellets?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody here still using bio pellets? I was considering using them in an new (likely high nutrient) tank but have never used them before. Anybody a longtime believer?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using biopellets a month ago, so still early to comment long term. A few years ago when it was more popular it worked based on the research I've come across. Check out YouTube and the videos are 5 years old or more but hobbiest vouched for it. No reason it won't still work.. I think dosing carbon sources became popular because it's so convenient with the new equipment and so many options to support it. It naturally evolved to the more popular method.

My nitrates were averaging in the 50s and getting higher before big water changes in a fowlr. I manually dosed NOPOX for a month which absolutely works. Very well actually. I was impressed. I don't want to dose constantly so I've switched to pellets. So far nitrates are sitting in the 20s which are good enough for me. I just want to keep algae away which I do. Tank always looks clean.. I know everyone says handle the source of high nitrates or phosphates..feed less or adjust this or that. I do big water changes every other week, change two 7" filter socks 2x per week, big skimmer, big UV and run GFO etc.. but this is fowlr with big puffers and messy meat eaters. My guys are fed once a day and not over fed. Plus I don't believe in not feeding the fish to have a pretty flower garden. I liked my corals previously but I love my fish. So far the pellets have kept things in check.. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using biopellets a month ago, so still early to comment long term. A few years ago when it was more popular it worked based on the research I've come across. Check out YouTube and the videos are 5 years old or more but hobbiest vouched for it. No reason it won't still work.. I think dosing carbon sources became popular because it's so convenient with the new equipment and so many options to support it. It naturally evolved to the more popular method.

My nitrates were averaging in the 50s and getting higher before big water changes in a fowlr. I manually dosed NOPOX for a month which absolutely works. Very well actually. I was impressed. I don't want to dose constantly so I've switched to pellets. So far nitrates are sitting in the 20s which are good enough for me. I just want to keep algae away which I do. Tank always looks clean.. I know everyone says handle the source of high nitrates or phosphates..feed less or adjust this or that. I do big water changes every other week, change two 7" filter socks 2x per week, big skimmer, big UV and run GFO etc.. but this is fowlr with big puffers and messy meat eaters. My guys are fed once a day and not over fed. Plus I don't believe in not feeding the fish to have a pretty flower garden. I liked my corals previously but I love my fish. So far the pellets have kept things in check.. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
good insight thanks, Im planning on going NoPox route, but thought Id check into it since I have a number of reactors that I could use. The pellets are surprisingly expensive! So Ill prob stick to the DIY Nopox plan after all

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are expensive but they don't need replenishing too often. Sounds good. Any carbon dosing should work. Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I do not prefer then is that it is harder to control nitrate by adjusting dosing, and it is difficult to control the time of day they are consumed (which can impact O2 levels and possibly pH
).

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them for years, and they did effectively reduce both nitrates and phosphates, however the reason I no longer use them is the build up of the broken down bio pellets on the overflow weir and elsewhere within system.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them for years, and they did effectively reduce both nitrates and phosphates, however the reason I no longer use them is the build up of the broken down bio pellets on the overflow weir and elsewhere within system.
Interesting, well I just installed them in a reactor on my new tank the other day, so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the input

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back