Anyone using a DIY reagent for KH Guardian ?

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how they claim to detect it, but I didn't see mention of viscosity. Luminosity will only work if they add an ingredient for that purpose.
I had to adjust my mix from 5ml to 6ml. The system read it as deluded. Bc it was to weak. Literally said deluded.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to adjust my mix from 5ml to 6ml. The system read it as deluded. Bc it was to weak. Literally said deluded.

Not sure how that quote became mine since it doesn’t seem to be something I claimed, but I will note that muriatic acid varies in potency, so no fixed number is always correct.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where did we land?

Anyone try the diy reagent? I have an older unit that I upgraded firmware recently.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friends locked up after recent firmware upgrade. He had been using DIY reagent for 2 years. This is such a greedy move by this company. I just bought one of these and wouldn't have if I had known this would be an issue.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So I have an option to buy an older model KHG that probably hasnt gone through firmware upgrades.

or buy the newer one and risk it getting locked using DIY reagents.

Is anyone using the KHG pros with DIY reagents successfully?

Thanks

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So I have an option to buy an older model KHG that probably hasnt gone through firmware upgrades.

or buy the newer one and risk it getting locked using DIY reagents.

Is anyone using the KHG pros with DIY reagents successfully?

Thanks
I don't know the answer to your question, but while we're discussing it...

Did anyone determine how the KHG supposedly determines that the reagent is not OEM?

I don't see how it could know unless the reagent was incorrectly diluted or the OEM has added some color dye to the reagent like GHL do.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Did anyone determine how the KHG supposedly determines that the reagent is not OEM?

I don't see how it could know unless the reagent was incorrectly diluted or the OEM has added some color dye to the reagent like GHL do.

Ive read through other forums and the facebook group that they have a dye in it, but arent sure if that is whats causing the DIY reagents to lock up the device.

Need some more feed back from others.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t own KHG, and I’m not sure what processtor it uses internally - but I might be able to find it out if anyone is willing to share the firmware with me.

I’ve read about this locking thing when I was looking for a tester for myself and it sounds ridiculous that no one has beaten it yet.

So if I can either find you a lead or patch that thing altogether It’ll both be fun for me and useful for you.

Heads up though, I’m not even sure if I’m familiar with the architecture used in this device and if I’ll be able to do anything useful with its firmware, but I might just give it a try.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t own KHG, and I’m not sure what processtor it uses internally - but I might be able to find it out if anyone is willing to share the firmware with me.

I’ve read about this locking thing when I was looking for a tester for myself and it sounds ridiculous that no one has beaten it yet.

So if I can either find you a lead or patch that thing altogether It’ll both be fun for me and useful for you.

Heads up though, I’m not even sure if I’m familiar with the architecture used in this device and if I’ll be able to do anything useful with its firmware, but I might just give it a try.

Here ya go

Thanks!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol, exactly what I was looking at doing too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back