Anything here I need to worry about?

Inferi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9ZQcg3Z4E1EVDc1TThXUjA4S1E

Got a few pictures there, focusing on that thing I have the laser on... Not sure what that is, noticed it a few days ago, has not moved, sort of clear, but searching for clear slug thing growing on my liverock, that doesn't move, hasn't yielded much in the way of identification.

This is my first SW tank, and I bought this live rock from a store about a block away and put it right into my water to attempt some sort of cycling (I doubt much die off occurred at all) the thing had a pencil urchin stowaway inside it and idk what else is growing, but before I get fish I wanted to make sure this rock is looking healthy, and if I need to do anything else before I get anything in it that I do care about.

It has been in there for a week and I haven't seen manyy changes to the rock (coloring or growth, it was a mix of different colors before, it may have a bit more green than a week ago), the sea urchin hitchiker left it and has wandered the tank a bit, but, so far my tank is staying pretty stable (no smells or anything crazy). Going to start sampling the water in about a week to see where I am at, didn't really expect the urchin to live thru a cycling process, but maybe I'm doing it wrong?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is looking good!
Make sure to do your testing so you know at what stage the tank is in.

Welcome to the R2R community!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The images are too far away for me to make an ID, it could be a sponge, and is not an issue.

Very cool the urchin made it through the cycle.

Welcome. :)

You should start a build thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Inferi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses and the welcome. I'm not sure that I even had much of a cycle, that rock came out of a tank with a porcupine puffer and lionfish at my local fish store and straight into my tank - out of the water for all of a half hour tops... A sponge though? I had no idea what I was getting into with a live rock, just wanted things to be safe for fish! this is way cooler than expected :D

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and yes you find all sorts of new critters once you stare at your tank for hours.... and if you get a good pic.... there are experts to tell you what they are!

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R you'll find that you'll get good information, Friendly virtual faces, and pretty quick replies! And...

+1 on starting a build thread!! its a great way to document your progress not only to share with your fellow Reefers , friends and family, but a great way for yourself to go back and compare 6 months later...
today"Hey I got this new coral today [ pic ]"
6 months from now "heres that same coral" [ pic] -Thinks to self.. 'Wow its really grown alot since I got it! I must be doing something right!'

OP
OP
I

Inferi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I may have to do a build thread then. I originally planned to do a fowlr tanj, and I still haven't paid for any fish, but I'm about 99% sure I have a starfish now - saw a tiny little guy that looked like just a white spot for a bit, but hes since grown, moved around, he's got 5 baby arms and is about the size of a pinky nail. Can't get a good photo of him but I'm lovin this. :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
I

Inferi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I found was solid white, didn't look much like the grey/spotted starfish like in the pictures of those links, I haven't seen it up on the glass yet however, so I can't say if it has the same orange mouth.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back