Apex, InkBird, Temperature in Mexico

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Black Friday deal on an Apex, primarily to log pH. I planned to redo my dosing around a DOS, and use my Apex to controller my heaters and a few other things after a Scuba trip to Cozumel in the 2nd half of January. I've been using an InkBird to keep temperature at 77F and it has worked well for the past 3 years or so. I plugged the InkBird into my Apex to monitor power usage and calibrated the Apex temperature sensor to match the InkBird, but didn't give this more than 10 minutes of thought.

Yesterday, on the way to Christmas Eve, I got an alarm saying my reef was below 75F. Apex showed the temperature dropped from 77F to 73F over a few minutes, and that the InkBird, which had been on all day, turned off at the same time. I was a little stressed over the Holiday parties, but didn't panic knowing as long as the tank is above 70F it would be fine when I got home.

When I got home, the InkBird showed my temp at 76.8F with both heaters on. First thing I did was cleaning the apex sensor. This did nothing. Then I cleaned the InkBird sensors, which dropped the temp to 74F (still above the 72F on the Apex). I checked both before I feel asleep about an hour later, and my Apex still said 72F but the InkBird was back to 77F. It was similar when I woke up.

I have a lab grade mercury thermometer, which is accurate but hard to read (6 inches long and it goes from 0F to 200F) but was about half way between 76F and 78F. I calibrated the Apex to 77F and put a small heater under Apex control to turn on at 77F and off at 78F.

Should I leave it like this until I get home from Mexico? If I make an further changes, I want to do it sooner than later. I am hesitant to take the InkBird out of the loop, as so far it seems to be more accurate than the Apex.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the additional backup heater is all you need for peace of mind (you can always monitor and tweak it remotely, or turn it off completely).
Do you mean add a heater to the Apex? Or the InkBird? Or just plugged straight into the wall? What size?

My biggest fear is not knowing what temperature the tank is. Worst case, I can have a friend or relative plug in a heater, or even change the setting on it. I am less confident asking them to figure out what is going on when one device says 77F and another says 72F - I don't know how to handle this very well myself.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean add a heater to the Apex? Or the InkBird? Or just plugged straight into the wall? What size?

My biggest fear is not knowing what temperature the tank is. Worst case, I can have a friend or relative plug in a heater, or even change the setting on it. I am less confident asking them to figure out what is going on when one device says 77F and another says 72F - I don't know how to handle this very well myself.
Didn't you indicate you plugged a small heater into the Apex?

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 heaters active. 2 300 watt heaters on the inkbird, which is monitored but not controlled by the Apex. A 100 watt that was uncontrolled in the sump with the thermostat set low enough it never turned on. I raised the thermostat and move this to Apex control. I have a 55 watt in the display, which is really only to keep things alive longer with a return pump failure.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back