Apex Probe Expectancy?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex alarm went off suddenly Sat night. PH was low. The tank is fine so I'm convinced it's the probe. It's all over the place; plummeted out of the blue.
1709545731634.png

I've cleaned it and ran it in a cup of tank water for a while but it won't settle down. Calibration fails with 7/10 solutions on the 10 side calibration.

From Neptune sys:
1709545590079.png

Bought from my LFS so maybe it sat on the shelf for a while. :thinking-face: I'll buy another probe but it's just irritating me a little that it only lasted (me) this long.

Does it seem reasonable that I'd have to replace an Apex PH probe that was purchased June 2023? It's never been dry (fluid was in the cap when I opened it)? First controller/Apex so trying to get a gauge on what to expect. If they only last this long is the cheaper BRS probe a good option?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex alarm went off suddenly Sat night. PH was low. The tank is fine so I'm convinced it's the probe. It's all over the place; plummeted out of the blue.
1709545731634.png

I've cleaned it and ran it in a cup of tank water for a while but it won't settle down. Calibration fails with 7/10 solutions on the 10 side calibration.

From Neptune sys:
1709545590079.png

Bought from my LFS so maybe it sat on the shelf for a while. :thinking-face: I'll buy another probe but it's just irritating me a little that it only lasted (me) this long.

Does it seem reasonable that I'd have to replace an Apex PH probe that was purchased June 2023? It's never been dry (fluid was in the cap when I opened it)? First controller/Apex so trying to get a gauge on what to expect. If they only last this long is the cheaper BRS probe a good option?
How you doing calibration? Auto or manual calibration?
I find the manual calibration with the temperature compensation to be best. I always do two calibrations back to back because the first one always fails or very close to fail and I find that the first one isn't really calibrated very well when it does. The second one always falls into calibration quickly and it's very stable.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to find the manual calibration option. It's a Jr so I only have Fusion, maybe that's why? I did 'auto calibrate' from the probe module page and tried the ph calibration from the task list; they seemed like the same thing to me. I'd like to try that but I'm stumped where that is lol

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to do the manual calibration, but there seems to be little difference in the two for me.

That said, this seems like the probe may be dead. You can likely contact Neptune and get a replacement since it's been less than a year.

I have found that the cheaper BRS ones do perfectly fine for me! They claim not to be as accurate but so far, so good on my side.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try the BRS if I end up replacing it. That's good to know, thanks!
Now I'm not so sure it's the probe. It's been in a cup of tank water all night and it looks sort of settled
1709552737706.png

I'll admit I was troubleshooting it late and was tired... I'm going to look for voltage now I suppose. The temp probes were near it for a while by accident, maybe they were causing interference. Oh boy fun is. Thank god for coffee and having the day off anyways :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to find the manual calibration option. It's a Jr so I only have Fusion, maybe that's why? I did 'auto calibrate' from the probe module page and tried the ph calibration from the task list; they seemed like the same thing to me. I'd like to try that but I'm stumped where that is lol
It's in here. Turn on the tc box also.

Screenshot_20240304_071852_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20240304_072033_APEXFusion.jpg

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to try Milwaukee PH probe as it's cheaper but with double probe. I use it with Alkatronics and it's quite good
Just 38$

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been able to partially look into this this week but plan on getting to the bottom of it tomorrow

Ordered this probe for $39
Milwaukee Instruments MA911B/2 Double Junction Ph Electrode with 2 m Cable and Gel Filled Electrolyte Solution https://a.co/d/cLBKzdB

The probe that is shown here came
Milwaukee Instruments MC122US pH Controller with Hi/Low Range Alarm, 2 Point Manual Calibration, 0.0 to 14.0 pH Range https://a.co/d/aS9BCcV

Idk if it's an issue I just hope I got what I wanted (or better :))

Should be able to pinpoint probe vs stray voltage I'm hoping. Will post in case it helps

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the probe :confused: Somewhat disappointed in the lifespan but we'll see how long this cheaper on lasts before I form a full opinion... thanks for all the input!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the probe :confused: Somewhat disappointed in the lifespan but we'll see how long this cheaper on lasts before I form a full opinion... thanks for all the input!
Make sure you clean the probe with a proper cleaning solution that you can buy from Milwaukee or other suppliers.

Cleaning the probe properly extends the life a lot.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you clean the probe with a proper cleaning solution that you can buy from Milwaukee or other suppliers.

Cleaning the probe properly extends the life a lot.
Oh nice. I didn't realize they had a solution. Thanks for the pointer. Threw it in my cart

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back