Apex vs Hydros

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thoroughly enjoying my Hydros-

Currently running an XP8, X10, and WELE on a mixed reef, and an XP8, WaveEngine, and Kamoer KH Carer on an acro tank. Really happy with all of it. Customer service has always taken good care of me as well, even in weak moments of panic lol.

Panic is the worst thing you could do! Glad that we have always been there to help out. Remember, HYDROS automatically saves the previous 20 uploads you have done. So as long as you don't panic 20 times over, we will be able to swoop in and save ya! :)

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I see a couple of extra Probe Ports, Drive Ports, and an XP8 outlet for the HYDROS Slow doser....you could set up HYDROS Alk Testing without purchasing a new HYDROS Control... There is a tip that'll save ya $600 at least ;)
That picture is a few weeks old. I've added a couple of Kamoer X1 Pro T dosers to the Kraken drive ports. Also, I have the Red Sea ReefMat, RS Skimmer, Radion XR15 on the Drive and Force ports. Coming along nicely.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use an Apex but I do use 3 of Neptunes Pmup pumps in my DI, fresh saltwater and mixing tanks at my mixing stations and they are powered by a Kraken so all I need to do on the DI and fresh saltwater ones is press a button that are close to the tanks to dispense into containers at the mixing station when needed. The other one in the mixing tank is used to transfer the water in the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank when it goes empty and the mix tank water is ready to use. Then the empty mix tank is refilled using the RODI unit. The DI tank is also refilled when goes empty. This is all controlled by my Hydros collective. It also controls my AWC and ATO. Those pumps and the mix station are in my garage 35ft from the tank. It also does an alkalinity test at the tank 4 times a day and doses a KH buffer and All For Reef depending on the readings of those test. It also controls the heating and cooling of the tank along with the lighting and all pumps for the tank. So far I have not run into anything I have wanted it to do that it could not do. So I am very happy with the system.

Last edited:

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am an Apex user. Only because I haven't had the time to do enough research on Hydros to switch over. And once Hydros has a plug and play version of the trident I will do that research.

I have an EB832 that was not intertek approved. It had such a bad malfunction by burning all the copper leads off the board it could have and should have burned down the house. Only reason it didn't is it was caught in time. The safeties built into the EB832 did not trip. What was Neptune's solution? Offering me a new one at cost. Not a free replacement.

It has been mentioned here already but Neptune support is quite awful. I only hear good things about Hydros.

I do like the functionality of my Apex though. It does everything I need and more. But when Hydros has their own Trident I will be switching my tank over.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I am going to be a bit bias as my username implies, however, I have this to share:

One of the major benefits of HYDROS would be this issue in the future! HYDROS is a completely modular system; at no point will ANY HYDROS equipment go obsolete...you want to expand in the future, just pick up another HYDROS Control. You separate part of your system into a smaller tank and break off some of your HYDROS to automate that tank!

Hydros offers an extremely user-friendly aquarium automation experience, zero coding; everything is a drop-down menu.

You may see that there are a lot of HYDROS Controls and you're wondering which one you need to start on, YOU CAN START WITH ANY! However, is that Hydros Control big enough, and have the ports available to do the jobs that you wish to do?

Maybe you decide to start small, when it's time to grow, that original device NEVER BECOMES OBSOLETE! You can just add on to the system, to grow your COLLECTIVE! Multiple HYDROS brains linked up, creating a redundant system, and a neural network of safety. If we release a new device, no need to sell the original one to get the newest and greatest, just add it on!

No modules! Accessories are extremely affordable, as long as you have the port available on a Hydros control, you can hook up that matching accessory.

The devices don't use outdated USB connections, HYDROS use CANBus, via command bus cable on GX-12 connectors, extremely reliable, and IP65 waterproof splash proof dustproof, aquarium stand proof We've seen too many aquarium equipments go bad with moisture, we didn't want that to happen to ours.

Partnering with other companies, YOU the end user should have the option to run whatever equipment you want. With HYDROS, We work hard to partner with other companies to incorporate their tech into our system. That way, the end user can have the best experience possible. So far we have integrated with Kamoer for the KH Carer, Focustronic for Alkatronic and Mastertronic, Sicce for their SDC Pumps...and more are coming....just you wait.

However, we have given away the software to test Alkalinity on HYDROS FOR FREE!!! The X10 has everything that is needed, so that is the most convenient route. However, all you need is a pH probe, HYDROS iV, and 3 Dosers. So, ANY HYDROS Control can test alkalinity, assuming you have those ports available.

Customer support, along with research and development, is our number one priority. Phone number, email, support portal, Facebook group, another Facebook group, and online forum are all available at your disposal. Call us, beep us, if you need to reach us.

It's going to be a HUGE year for HYDROS. Y'all will see, we aren't playing. ;)
I'm just going to chime in as a satisfied user, all of this is really spot on and works as claimed. I love that you can break the system apart, put it together, change it however you like. It's really great. A lot of products don't live up to their claims, for me, so far Hydros absolutely has.

OP
OP
X

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obviously I am going to be a bit bias as my username implies, however, I have this to share:

One of the major benefits of HYDROS would be this issue in the future! HYDROS is a completely modular system; at no point will ANY HYDROS equipment go obsolete...you want to expand in the future, just pick up another HYDROS Control. You separate part of your system into a smaller tank and break off some of your HYDROS to automate that tank!

Hydros offers an extremely user-friendly aquarium automation experience, zero coding; everything is a drop-down menu.

You may see that there are a lot of HYDROS Controls and you're wondering which one you need to start on, YOU CAN START WITH ANY! However, is that Hydros Control big enough, and have the ports available to do the jobs that you wish to do?

Maybe you decide to start small, when it's time to grow, that original device NEVER BECOMES OBSOLETE! You can just add on to the system, to grow your COLLECTIVE! Multiple HYDROS brains linked up, creating a redundant system, and a neural network of safety. If we release a new device, no need to sell the original one to get the newest and greatest, just add it on!

No modules! Accessories are extremely affordable, as long as you have the port available on a Hydros control, you can hook up that matching accessory.

The devices don't use outdated USB connections, HYDROS use CANBus, via command bus cable on GX-12 connectors, extremely reliable, and IP65 waterproof splash proof dustproof, aquarium stand proof We've seen too many aquarium equipments go bad with moisture, we didn't want that to happen to ours.

Partnering with other companies, YOU the end user should have the option to run whatever equipment you want. With HYDROS, We work hard to partner with other companies to incorporate their tech into our system. That way, the end user can have the best experience possible. So far we have integrated with Kamoer for the KH Carer, Focustronic for Alkatronic and Mastertronic, Sicce for their SDC Pumps...and more are coming....just you wait.

However, we have given away the software to test Alkalinity on HYDROS FOR FREE!!! The X10 has everything that is needed, so that is the most convenient route. However, all you need is a pH probe, HYDROS iV, and 3 Dosers. So, ANY HYDROS Control can test alkalinity, assuming you have those ports available.

Customer support, along with research and development, is our number one priority. Phone number, email, support portal, Facebook group, another Facebook group, and online forum are all available at your disposal. Call us, beep us, if you need to reach us.

It's going to be a HUGE year for HYDROS. Y'all will see, we aren't playing. ;)
You know what! I’ll sell my opened Apex and jump onto hydros. I’ll save this post if hydros screws me, I’ll be the first to file against the parent company. I love a company that puts it down!

OP
OP
X

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to track Orp, ph, temp, and salinity. Obviously I’ll lose magnesium and calcium. What system do you recommend because online offerings don’t offer Orp testing just a bunch of ph and temp

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to track Orp, ph, temp, and salinity. Obviously I’ll lose magnesium and calcium. What system do you recommend because online offerings don’t offer Orp testing just a bunch of ph and temp
Any of the controllers with a probe port will do either pH or ORP on the port. If you wan salinity at this time the only controller with a salinity port is the X10. It has 4 precision dosing pumps, 2 drive ports and 4 sense ports and a probe port along with the salinity port. I have run this controller stand alone with the iV and a simple doser to do the alkalinity test and also dose a KH buffer and All For Reef. I also got a pH reading and salinity reading every time a alkalinity test was performed. I ran it that way for a few months until I added it into the collective. My suggestion if salinity is important is the X10 and the X4 Pro Pack. Also get a command bus cable to add the X10 to the collective with the X4 and XP8 that are a part of the pro pack. If you want alkalinity testing then add the iV and also get the salinity kit to get the salinity probe and 2 calibration fluids. The X10 comes with a pH probe and a temp sensor and some tubing for the 4 pumps. The XP8 has 8 AC outputs. The X4 has 2 probe ports, 2 drive ports, 4 sense ports, 4 0-10v inputs and 4 0-10v outputs. That should get you going. The sense ports are were you would add temp sensors, leak detectors, flow sensors, TDS meters, water level sensor and the like. Hope this helps. I just use Hanna testers for calcium, nitrate, magnesium and a couple of others. There is a way to setup static inputs in the Hydros where you can add the results of these test. These will also show in the graphs. At this time you cannot use the static input for any control on the Hydros though. Hope this helps. Let us know if there are any specific questions though.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screenshot of my test page for my Hydros. The last input is from a probe port setup for ORP with a ORP probe attached and in the sump. There is also on that second row the realtime reading for the ports with the pH and salinity probe in the iV but these readings are only good just before the start of the alkalinity testing so there is also a sampled input for each with those readings. The reading also has the time and dat the reading was taken. I also have salinity probe in the sump and that reading is in the first line of inputs. The inputs and outputs on this page are related to testing either by the Hydros system or the manual test I do with test kits. The static inputs also have a time and date that the reading was entered. I also have a KHC that I occasionally use but I do no have it testing at the moment so those inputs are not displayed on the screen but the Hydros will interface with the Kamoer cloud and get the KH Carer readings.

IMG_0480.png

OP
OP
X

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a screenshot of my test page for my Hydros. The last input is from a probe port setup for ORP with a ORP probe attached and in the sump. There is also on that second row the realtime reading for the ports with the pH and salinity probe in the iV but these readings are only good just before the start of the alkalinity testing so there is also a sampled input for each with those readings. The reading also has the time and dat the reading was taken. I also have salinity probe in the sump and that reading is in the first line of inputs. The inputs and outputs on this page are related to testing either by the Hydros system or the manual test I do with test kits. The static inputs also have a time and date that the reading was entered. I also have a KHC that I occasionally use but I do no have it testing at the moment so those inputs are not displayed on the screen but the Hydros will interface with the Kamoer cloud and get the KH Carer readings.

IMG_0480.png
BTW, how do you control your light? Does hydros offer light profiles like apex with MXM?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, how do you control your light? Does hydros offer light profiles like apex with MXM?
I control the lights with 0-10v outputs 6 to be exact. Then I setup a schedule and I use the latitude light mode so they come around sunrise and go off around sunset. The light gradually increases to max then slowly decreases till off. The 2 screenshots of the schedule are below. It was too long to fit on one screen but on the iPad you can scroll up and down to the different settings in the schedule. I did also select El Salvador for the location since it is in the central time zone and keep daylight savings time from changing the schedule an hour. That also keeps all the other timers on their original non daylight times.

IMG_0500.png

IMG_0501.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef,

Thank you for taking the time to review my post. I've recently upgraded to a larger tank and am currently exploring options for controllers. While I have a brand new Apex system still in its box, I'm considering switching to Hydros. My experience with Apex has been somewhat disappointing, leading me to think it might be time for a change. However, transitioning to a Hydros system would mean purchasing an entirely new setup and investing in its ecosystem to achieve similar functionality. I'm open to making this change, but I'm cautious about moving from one unsatisfactory experience to potentially another. Additionally, could anyone advise on a fair asking price for my unopened Apex system?

Personally speaking and since you asked my opinion is that you are going about it the wrong way. If it was me I'd make a list of what you want to use a controller for. Today, tomorrow, and in the future. Then go to each vendor you are considering to make sure they can do that. Today, tomorrow, and in the future (tomorrow and future are, of course, going to be difficult). You are talking about Apex, Hydros, GHL for over the counter and then Pi or Arduino for open source.

If you have been around enough you should already know that fellow hobbyist use the same piece of gear and will have two different experiences. Doesn't mean either is garbage just different experiences. Another point to be aware of is how many hobbyist post on forums saying how much love they are in with it vs those posting out of frustration?

Long story short both will work to include the others I mentioned. Where is support, what is your budget, will it do what you want, etc. Above all avoid hobbyist posts if they say one is junk or the other is the bees knees. Everything has or will have an issue. How it is overcome is key. Just as it is key that we, the hobbyist, remove our bias hat as we reply to posts like this.

As to the cost you will take the hit regardless. I'd wager anywhere from 10 to 20% unless it is an item that is in high demand and low stock. That will recoup everything. Pick a realistic number the works for you, post a bit over, that way it give you and the potential buying options / wiggle room.

pelfiredc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys if getting Hydros where do I start? Have a NEW cycling IM 150 lagoon. This replaced old 90. Looking to make this tank “easier” thus more enjoyable! I have 2 BRS DOSERS 6 AI PRIME 16s heater UV w Wi-Fi Scicce pump 2 MP40s ect ……… thoughts? Was looking at Apex( year or so) before I read this! Also wait for sale if they do? Any help or opinions would be great! Ty!

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Hydros. I think APEX is so prevalent because it was the only game in town for a long time.

I really like my Hydros system - the waveengine is awesome and saves me 4 power bricks and outlets (2 gyres and both my return pumps). I have not used an APEX, to be transparent, but the build quality and interface were huge turn-offs. The trident looks (and feels) like one of my kids paw patrol toys.

OP
OP
X

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally speaking and since you asked my opinion is that you are going about it the wrong way. If it was me I'd make a list of what you want to use a controller for. Today, tomorrow, and in the future. Then go to each vendor you are considering to make sure they can do that. Today, tomorrow, and in the future (tomorrow and future are, of course, going to be difficult). You are talking about Apex, Hydros, GHL for over the counter and then Pi or Arduino for open source.

If you have been around enough you should already know that fellow hobbyist use the same piece of gear and will have two different experiences. Doesn't mean either is garbage just different experiences. Another point to be aware of is how many hobbyist post on forums saying how much love they are in with it vs those posting out of frustration?

Long story short both will work to include the others I mentioned. Where is support, what is your budget, will it do what you want, etc. Above all avoid hobbyist posts if they say one is junk or the other is the bees knees. Everything has or will have an issue. How it is overcome is key. Just as it is key that we, the hobbyist, remove our bias hat as we reply to posts like this.

As to the cost you will take the hit regardless. I'd wager anywhere from 10 to 20% unless it is an item that is in high demand and low stock. That will recoup everything. Pick a realistic number the works for you, post a bit over, that way it give you and the potential buying options / wiggle room.
thanks for the reply. I really ppreciate yohr take.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It seems you've made your decision, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

I've used Neptune (before Apex and after), GHL, and Hydros. I always end up going back to Neptune (Apex). For me, it's MUCH simpler to use, I like the UI better, and while I've had some parts break or wear out over time, I've never had "nightmare" issue that support didn't end up helping me fix. Sometimes it takes a while, but I had the exact same experience with both GHL and Hydros (for the record, GHL was worse).

I also know a lot of people who complain about Apex, but stay with it, buy upgrades, etc. (I think a lot of that comes from familiarity...........the "devil" you know). And I know a lot of folks who swear by Hydros and GHL. So I don't think any of them are perfect, and quite frankly, I don't think any of them are necessarily "better" than the other.

So I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with and what works for you.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an old APEX JR that was rock solid. I then had the new version of the JR.
I actually found programming the apex simple. I don’t like apex fusion, it seemed unreliable for me.

Then when I started repairing lots of EB8 I decided to switch to hydros, so far it’s been great. I recently received DOA 12v water valve. They had a new one on its way in 48 hours. Super easy process.

I don’t think it’s any cheaper but I do like being able add as I go. My biggest complaint is the lack of products compared to apex but with time that will be fixed.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you've made your decision, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

I've used Neptune (before Apex and after), GHL, and Hydros. I always end up going back to Neptune (Apex). For me, it's MUCH simpler to use, I like the UI better, and while I've had some parts break or wear out over time, I've never had "nightmare" issue that support didn't end up helping me fix. Sometimes it takes a while, but I had the exact same experience with both GHL and Hydros (for the record, GHL was worse).

I also know a lot of people who complain about Apex, but stay with it, buy upgrades, etc. (I think a lot of that comes from familiarity...........the "devil" you know). And I know a lot of folks who swear by Hydros and GHL. So I don't think any of them are perfect, and quite frankly, I don't think any of them are necessarily "better" than the other.

So I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with and what works for you.
I have nothing to add here and agree. Pick something and stick with it. It's a tool. If it were a case of one simply not working, then it would be different, but they all work and have their caveats to go along with them. It is what it is. I won't go so far to say any one is better than the other.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys if getting Hydros where do I start? Have a NEW cycling IM 150 lagoon. This replaced old 90. Looking to make this tank “easier” thus more enjoyable! I have 2 BRS DOSERS 6 AI PRIME 16s heater UV w Wi-Fi Scicce pump 2 MP40s ect ……… thoughts? Was looking at Apex( year or so) before I read this! Also wait for sale if they do? Any help or opinions would be great! Ty!
It all depends on what you are trying to do with it but it is expandable so you can start with something like the X4 Pro Pack. That has the X4 controller and a XP8 controller. It also has one command bus cable and 2 terminators for creating a collective between the X4 and XP8. To add another all you would need is the new controller of your choice and a command bus cable got get it connected to the collective. The Pro Pack also comes with a temp sensor and a pH probe. The XP8 has 8 AC outlet for it's 8 output ports. The X4 has 2 probe ports for either pH or ORP. Each can be individually setup for either probe type. There is also 2 drive ports which are 12v output ports. There is also 4 sense ports. These can be used with temp sensors, water level sensors, leak detectors, flow sensors and several others. Then there are 4 0-10v inputs in one port and 4 0-10v outputs in another port. So it has quite a few of the different types of ports on it. That makes it a good starting point. My collective is up to 14 controllers. I have 55 inputs setup and 126 outputs setup. So it is a larger collective.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back