Apex WAV Placement/Settings

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys and gals, I'm looking for some advice here. I have a 120 gal (48"x24"x24") tank that I am in the initial setup phase with. I plan to make it a mixed reef with a healthy mix of SPS/LPS, and soft corals (particularly hammer and zoas). I am using an Apex, and have two WAV power heads. Right now I just have one on each side, but I am thinking of trying to have one in the upper corner of each side of the back panel, tilted up slightly and rotated to the side enough that the current hits the front glass, and deflects down... of that makes sense.

I was wondering if anyone has experience using these pumps, and if you have any recommendations as to what setting to use, when, and at what intensities. I obviously want strong enough and varied enough flow for my SPS, without blowing my LPS and softies back to the Bahamas. :)

#apexusers

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine towards the upper, outward corners on a 5 foot tank. Aimed in and slightly up. They work absolutely great this way! I simply run Mavericks throughout the entire day and have it vary intensity. The left one runs a different schedule than the right one... just to "mix it up" more in the tank.

FTS by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank, friend! What does your overall FLO fluctuate between?

My right WAV varies between 19 and 50... which when running Mavericks, means those values are the highest it will go at those points. However, it will go below those points. My left WAV varies between 18 and 35.

Overall FLO varies between 4.9 and 5.4 throughout the day.

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My right WAV varies between 19 and 50... which when running Mavericks, means those values are the highest it will go at those points. However, it will go below those points. My left WAV varies between 18 and 35.

Overall FLO varies between 4.9 and 5.4 throughout the day.

Awesome, thanks! :)

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of noted that I run a ton of flow through my sump. So I use my split return as display tank flow for the corals also.

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of noted that I run a ton of flow through my sump. So I use my split return as display tank flow for the corals also.
I'm sure you've got more flow from your return pump than I do... I'm using a Vectra M1 as my return, and it's powering a return manifold which feeds my skimmer... at some point I'll go ahead and get the Apex flow sensors I'm sure, but until then, I figure most of my flow needs to come from the power heads. My split return lines are just supplemental.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am currently using Tunze 6105 using the wide flow attachment , is the WAV comparable with that wide flow ? i read it seems it is narrow type of flow. i am using peninsula tank.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am currently using Tunze 6105 using the wide flow attachment , is the WAV comparable with that wide flow ? i read it seems it is narrow type of flow. i am using peninsula tank.

The flow is indeed narrow from the WAV pumps. However, I actually like that. Because of the direct flow, it bounces off of opposite panes of glass nicely... thus really making for some random flow as it's redirected off of said glass.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back