ApexPro - Suddent alarm for missing modules

waliomerkhan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Need help!!!

Today, I received a sudden alarm indicating that both EB832 modules and Trident are missing. I attempted to reset it, but to no avail. Consequently, I decided to remove the modules from Apex Fusion and add them again. Although this action resolved the alarm, I encountered difficulty re-adding the modules to the system. Despite attempting a factory reset several times, the issue persisted. It appears that both EB832 modules are in fallback mode, indicated by their blinking orange lights. Additionally, I tried relocating the Apex Pro to either of the EB832 modules, but this did not alter the situation. I verified if the energy bar's circuit breaker has tripped... but that's not the case either.

I have raised the ticket for Neptune Systems, but Friday evening 6 PM wasn't the best time to raise it. :(

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just had this happen with 16 modules. I was so lost on what to do. They sent me a process and it was a long difficult process because I have qty-4 eb832's and 16 modules including 6 DOS and a trident. everything was missing. the process has you unplug 100% of everything, including the head unit, then 1 by one plug in 1 single module until the bad module or usb chord is isolated. My second last item I plugged in located problem. believe it or not it was the Gyre wifi module plugged in an apex usb PM1 module. took that off line and everything worked. it took two hours because of the massive amount of modules and usb's I have on my system, but this process isolated my issue.

Morgan Wood (Neptune Systems Support)
Apr 11, 2024, 8:51 AM CDT
Hi Eric,

I’m sorry to hear about this. I understand how frustrating this can be, and I hope to resolve this matter quickly and efficiently. If the controller has an Orange status light, but the modules are flashing, then there are three possible reasons for this:

• A device module or cable is preventing your modules from communicating with the base unit.
  • Your configuration has become corrupted and needs to be fixed.
  • Your base unit could be having some hardware problems.

To determine if it is a device or cable that is causing the module not to communicate:

1. Remove all the AquaBus devices from the base unit (including the display screen).
  2. Now reconnect only your Energy Bar 832 to the base unit.
  3. If it comes back up, both Orange status lights on the Apex base unit and the Energy Bar 832, If so proceed to step #6.
  4. If the Energy Bar is still blinking orange, then try another cable and AquaBus port on the Energy Bar.
  5. Connect the Display module (do the module's status light stay Orange)
  6. Now connect the next module you have.
  7. If it comes up with a Green status light on the module, then proceed to step #8
  8. If the Module is still blinking yellow, then try another cable and AquaBus port on the Modules.
  9. Repeat steps #6 and #7 until you find the problematic device.

If you have tried a new cable and have the same results with several devices, then we will need to set up a phone support session to see if the Apex or a module needs to come in for diagnostics.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi All,

Need help!!!

Today, I received a sudden alarm indicating that both EB832 modules and Trident are missing. I attempted to reset it, but to no avail. Consequently, I decided to remove the modules from Apex Fusion and add them again. Although this action resolved the alarm, I encountered difficulty re-adding the modules to the system. Despite attempting a factory reset several times, the issue persisted. It appears that both EB832 modules are in fallback mode, indicated by their blinking orange lights. Additionally, I tried relocating the Apex Pro to either of the EB832 modules, but this did not alter the situation. I verified if the energy bar's circuit breaker has tripped... but that's not the case either.

I have raised the ticket for Neptune Systems, but Friday evening 6 PM wasn't the best time to raise it. :(
On fusion page, go to modules and update the eb832 and trident modules.
Om back left of EB832 there is a yellow reset button. Press that also for 3 seconds.

OP
OP
waliomerkhan

waliomerkhan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for insight… I spent like 6 hours last evening to isolate this, which is steps 1-4. In the end I used a different EB832 with no modules and a new cable and when that also didn’t work I’m guessing it’s base unit issue.

Today, I’m going to hookup a different apex unit (will get from a friend) and that will clear some air.

But my main question is I tried factory reset which is holding the reset button for 30 seconds till you see red light, if it was a software issue the modules should have come back, isn’t it?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for insight… I spent like 6 hours last evening to isolate this, which is steps 1-4. In the end I used a different EB832 with no modules and a new cable and when that also didn’t work I’m guessing it’s base unit issue.

Today, I’m going to hookup a different apex unit (will get from a friend) and that will clear some air.

But my main question is I tried factory reset which is holding the reset button for 30 seconds till you see red light, if it was a software issue the modules should have come back, isn’t it?
Yes- The brain is the reset point with a little hole on left side. 5 seconds with a paperclip or toothpick is all that is needed.

OP
OP
waliomerkhan

waliomerkhan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- The brain is the reset point with a little hole on left side. 5 seconds with a paperclip or toothpick is all that is needed.

Did that multiple times and i don't see any module except FMM_1, is there a way i can add it manually and check or, it will always auto-connect

1713016700663.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did that multiple times and i don't see any module except FMM_1, is there a way i can add it manually and check or, it will always auto-connect

1713016700663.png
Likely auto -connect.
did you try unplugging unit and disconnect modules then recnnect after all powered up again?
Also a few good videos on you tube

OP
OP
waliomerkhan

waliomerkhan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely auto -connect.
did you try unplugging unit and disconnect modules then recnnect after all powered up again?
Also a few good videos on you tube

Yes, I did try once again now after resetting the base unit and apart from 1 EB832 connected with base unit (without probes) there's nothing connected. EB832 is still blinking orange while base unit is solid orange.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes, I did try once again now after resetting the base unit and apart from 1 EB832 connected with base unit (without probes) there's nothing connected. EB832 is still blinking orange while base unit is solid orange.
That’s strange
Any red symbols on the eb832 on the fusion page?

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On fusion page, go to modules and update the eb832 and trident modules.
Om back left of EB832 there is a yellow reset button. Press that also for 3 seconds.

The yellow button is not a reset for anything but a circuit breaker. It isn't a software reset.

OP - This sounds like a corrupt Micro SD Card inside the Apex brain. Lots of people have this issue. If you are doing lots of logging of outlets and probes it can cause the SD Card to fail. Luckily it is an easy fix. You can open the head unit and replace the SD Card with a 4gb, 8gb or 16gb class 10 card.

Danny McElroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Need help!!!

I had this problem repeatedly on two separate brand new out of the box A3 pros, and finally gave up on them and found used A2's online. There is some ghost in the new machine that Neptune has not yet identified and my experience with this issue is that it will happen over and over and you will continuously be reprogramming all of your modules.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back