API Accu-clear on marine tank?

ReefRyanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to the fish store with some questions regarding my tank and the guy suggested I pick up Accu-Clear. He said it will have no issues with a marine tank. So i used it as he suggested and called it a day. Next day i noticed my issue had actually gotten worse and started doing further looking into the Accu-clear product. It was at this point that i noticed that it said 'for freshwater use only'. After seeing this i gave the same store a ring and spoke with the guy who sold me the product, just checking that this shouldn't be an issue. He basically said that it should work for both and theres nothing worry about, and if it doesn't help then has has other products which will. I just wanted another opinion as to if this will work in a marine setup? Thanks!!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Product is safe for use with all freshwater fish and plants."
that's a statement I'd avoid for something I were going to put in a reef tank.
MSDS says it's an acidic (ph 4-4.5) compound, some of these precipitate and flocculate as the pH goes up. So I wouldn't expect that it works as designed for freshwater at the different hardness/pH of saltwater.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its better to explain your issue here and let us help you, rather than to rely on bottled potions or bad LFS advice.

OP
OP
R

ReefRyanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its better to explain your issue here and let us help you, rather than to rely on bottled potions or bad LFS advice.
So currently i have a new tank which i have been setting up. Its been a few months and I have just been letting the normal cycle do its thing. No fish or other live stock in tank. However i noticed that there seemed to be heaps of dust in the tank water and it was quite milky. So i went to the store and had a chat with the guy there seeing if there is anything i can do or use to clean out my tank better. He said to use this product and it will clear everything up. Showed me how much i should be using etc. Used the product and tank has probably gotten even more milky

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a flocculant/clarifier like that is worth doing the first day or two after adding a bunch of dusty new sand, but "a few months" later, I'd think about other things.
If it's super-fine particles of sand, then I'd add some mechanical filtration (even if it was only temporary).
Also I'd consider the possibility that this is a bacterial bloom. sometimes those can last a surprisingly long time, UV may be helpful.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back