API general cure dosing for internal parasites

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Can someone tell me what the consensus on the dosing regime for general cure is, I'm treating the water in Qt as my flame angel with internal parasites isn't eating very well so medicating the food is tricky.

From the extremely helpful threads on R2R I gather that metro should be dosed every 48hours for up to several weeks for internal issues, does the same apply for general cure? The general cure thread states 2 courses 5-7 days apart but I'm guessing that's more fluke focussed.

Thanks

Nick

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/praziquantel.247598/

API General Cure contains both praziquantel and metronidazole, and is an effective substitute for using Prazipro. (Just don’t follow the 48 hour repeat dosage instructions; Redose 5-7 days later instead.) But where General Cure really shines is when soaked in food to treat both intestinal worms and internal parasites (flagellates). Both maladies share one classic symptom: White stringy feces. You can also food soak Thomas Labs Fish Tapes or just straight praziquantel powder; but be aware that prazi only treats intestinal worms. (You would need to food soak metronidazole for internal flagellates.) I recommend feeding the medicated food daily for 2-3 weeks, or until symptoms are no longer present. My formula for food soaking prazi (and metro) can be found below:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating any prepared foods at all? Even if he only eats a tiny bit, I would still be trying to medicate his food as well. You can do both at the same time.

I would follow the dosing directions on the package for general cure in this case, re-dose at 48 hours, not the 5-7 days as suggested for flukes.

Copy and pasted from API website:

For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

The goal here isn’t to actually *cure* the fish, but rather get it feeling well enough to eat the medicated food. Or hold him over until you can find a food he WILL eat. I’ve medicated supermarket clams to feed to a regal angel with internal parasites that wouldn’t eat prepared foods. Getting him eating will be the biggest priority.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has barely eaten over the last 3 weeks but in the last couple of days has started to pick at food again, I have been keeping up the focus + metro and in the last few days switched to focus + GC. I think the hunger strike is mostly stress related as I took him out of the tank he's been in since he was a tiny CB juvenile and placed him in relatively bare Qt. I added rocks and sand to the Qt in the hopes of de-stressing him slightly and it seems to have worked, although I know this will likely reduce the effectiveness of meds dosed to the water. His poop is very stringy (think 6" long thin thread!) but not always white.

I'll keep feeding it to him and stick with packet instructions for the GC as you suggest. Hopefully this will clear him out

Thanks for your help

Nick

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has barely eaten over the last 3 weeks but in the last couple of days has started to pick at food again, I have been keeping up the focus + metro and in the last few days switched to focus + GC. I think the hunger strike is mostly stress related as I took him out of the tank he's been in since he was a tiny CB juvenile and placed him in relatively bare Qt. I added rocks and sand to the Qt in the hopes of de-stressing him slightly and it seems to have worked, although I know this will likely reduce the effectiveness of meds dosed to the water. His poop is very stringy (think 6" long thin thread!) but not always white.

I'll keep feeding it to him and stick with packet instructions for the GC as you suggest. Hopefully this will clear him out

Thanks for your help

Nick

Soak the medicated food in Garlic guard to mask the taste of the meds.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak the medicated food in Garlic guard to mask the taste of the meds.
Thanks yeah I have been, it's not the taste of the meds in particular he's been off his food in general, I have thrown every type of food possible at him and he's just now starting to show interest again

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use GC, it covers both internal parasites and internal worms.

I used Metro only and I ended up losing fish to what was likely worms, not parasites.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use GC, it covers both internal parasites and internal worms.

I used Metro only and I ended up losing fish to what was likely worms, not parasites.
Yep as soon as my GC arrived from the States I switched, both metro and GC (due to the metro content) are illegal without prescription here in the UK so I had to use up my old metro while I waited.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame is eating medicated food now so I have held off dosing the tank, he takes the first 3 or 4 pieces that hit the water then ignores the rest but its a start. As long as he keeps eating i'm going to hold off dosing the water so I don't have to chase ammonia levels for the next few weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back