Aquacultured Stupendous Scolymia!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nutramar Foods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only are Scolymia gorgeous, but they aren't difficult to keep either. They don't really have a size requirement for a tank, Mini Scolys make excellent desktop nano-tank corals! You can keep them very close to other Scolys so collect away! They'll do best placed on a soft grain sand bed or a bare bottom tank where they can be stable and in low to moderate light. They can adapt to higher lighting, but this should be done gradually, over the course of days or even weeks. Place them away from aggressive corals and anything sharp, including rocks as their puffy mantle can be damaged by these things. You should also avoid direct flow; even a very happy, healthy Scolymia can be irreversibly damaged by laminar flow, even if it is fairly gentle. Conversely, they do need some flow, but it needs to be turbulent / random in pattern.
untitled 2.jpg
One of the most important (and most often ignored) aspects of successfully keeping Scolymia is feeding them. Indeed, most corals will do much better when target fed regularly, and with LPS corals this is even more vital. Scolys can take surprisingly large food, and even our Scolymia will thrive on things like Gamma finely chopped prawn, mysis, even krill and chopped mussel. Larger Scolymia can take down a small portion of a silverside! You'll know when your Scoly is hungry, as they will extend polyps just inside the outer mantle. When this happens, gently target feed them by placing appropriately sized food on the little tentacle-like polyps. You won't need to do this more than once or twice a week. You'll get to know how big of a meal they want / can take by seeing what they release, or just can't handle; start small. Click here to learn more

scoly 2222.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back