AquaMaxx ConeS Protein Skimmer help

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm currently upgrading my tank to a 125g display with a 40g sump. I've used a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 for years on my 45g tall tank and it's been fantastic, so I thought I would continue with Aquamaxx since it's been good to me.

I'm trying to decide between:
Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2 or CO-3
Aquamaxx ConeS RC-2 or RC-3
Aquamaxx ConeS Q-2 or Q-3

If you have any experience or guidance on the pros and cons for these skimmers I would greatly appreciate the insight!

Thanks!

OP
OP
MoMoTheMonster

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some information on the CO & Q series - this doesn't include the RC series I'm considering:

1687287005049.png

Attachments

• 1687286952025.png
    1687286952025.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 37

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a CO-2 and CO-3. They were ok skimmers. I sit about four feet from the tank, and at night watching TV I could hear the hum of those Sicce AC pumps. I retired the Aquamaxx and got an Octo with DC pump and I can no longer hear my skimmer running :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. I had both magnets of the impellers on the Aquamaxx skimmers crack and rust. And they aren't cheap to replace.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi All,

I'm currently upgrading my tank to a 125g display with a 40g sump. I've used a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 for years on my 45g tall tank and it's been fantastic, so I thought I would continue with Aquamaxx since it's been good to me.

I'm trying to decide between:
Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2 or CO-3
Aquamaxx ConeS RC-2 or RC-3
Aquamaxx ConeS Q-2 or Q-3

If you have any experience or guidance on the pros and cons for these skimmers I would greatly appreciate the insight!

Thanks!
I had the AM Q3 unit and was an excellent producer and quiet. Occasionally the skipper cup was hard to turn off but if you wet it in advance, it makes it easier

OP
OP
MoMoTheMonster

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a CO-2 and CO-3. They were ok skimmers. I sit about four feet from the tank, and at night watching TV I could hear the hum of those Sicce AC pumps. I retired the Aquamaxx and got an Octo with DC pump and I can no longer hear my skimmer running :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. I had both magnets of the impellers on the Aquamaxx skimmers crack and rust. And they aren't cheap to replace.
That's good to know about the magnets cracking and rusting. Thank you!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement Impeller for Syncra (3.5, 4.0, 5.0) - Sicce$59.99SaltwaterAquarium.comFree shipping30-day return policy
The new Sicce and Tunze impellers look like this, the ones with a colorful plastic covering were the ones that would split and rust. The impeller with around it is a Vertex skimmer impeller, the red is a plastic coating, if it got cracked the magnet would swell and either ruin the impeller and or the pump as well. This is the type of impeller they said Do Not Use Vinegar, Pump Killer.
20230620_204555.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go with the Cone S 3 or the RC3

Both have the pumps on the outside for more reactor space and it's much easier to pull the pump and clean it which I do about 4 times a year with my Cone S3. I've had this skimmer for 9+ years.

I'm not familiar with the new RC3 but would still get it over anything else you have listed.

Buy from here...........they don't charge sales tax. You may also want to wait till July 4 sales it may go on sale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoMoTheMonster

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement Impeller for Syncra (3.5, 4.0, 5.0) - Sicce$59.99SaltwaterAquarium.comFree shipping30-day return policy
The new Sicce and Tunze impellers look like this, the ones with a colorful plastic covering were the ones that would split and rust. The impeller with around it is a Vertex skimmer impeller, the red is a plastic coating, if it got cracked the magnet would swell and either ruin the impeller and or the pump as well. This is the type of impeller they said Do Not Use Vinegar, Pump Killer.
20230620_204555.jpg
Thank you for posting this! That is really helpful! Especially since I use vinegar to clean many of my tank parts. I did just buy some citric acid for cleaning. Would that cause the same issue?

OP
OP
MoMoTheMonster

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Cone S 3 or the RC3

Both have the pumps on the outside for more reactor space and it's much easier to pull the pump and clean it which I do about 4 times a year with my Cone S3. I've had this skimmer for 9+ years.

I'm not familiar with the new RC3 but would still get it over anything else you have listed.

Buy from here...........they don't charge sales tax. You may also want to wait till July 4 sales it may go on sale.

Thank you! I was thinking 4th of July might bring sales and that's great to know about the no sales tax from that site! I appreciate it

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back