Aquarium Conversion

Bellamy55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, this may not be the best sub forum if it is not please move. My employer has an aquarium measuring 33hx22dx84l. It used to be a reef aquarium but long story short the guy taking care of it was no longer taking care of it so they converted it to an african cichlid tank. it is way understocked. approx a dozen fish, some are probably still considered juveniles. I would like to convince them to go back to a reef tank but i need numbers. there is maybe 20lbs of rock in there so i know that will be a big purchase. it is missing a protien skimmer and would require a bigger pump. filtration wise the overflow is a double 1.5" flex into a wet/dry filter of bioballs, then has 2 1.5" outlets into a center chamber which i assume is for the skimmer than a single 2" output that is plugged which i believe would be an inline pump. Stocking of the tank could take place overtime. Not trying to overstock they understand things take time. What would an idea of cost for getting started and maintaining a tank of this size cost?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a wide open question with no one right answer.
who will be doing the maintenance?
Would ask them what kind of set up they want

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted $50 a gallon to get started in a reef tank. That is an average ballpark in my experience. Maintaining 200-300 gallons I would say another $50-$75 a month depending on if you run a calrx or dose based on your tank consumption. This is not including electricity at another $25-$75 a month depending on your rates.

Last edited:

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • NO

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back