Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might suggest 12 psi is required to push through check valve?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, can you move the Masterflex to the feed side, and leave the effluent line open? Then we can see if the pocket builds up without any internal pressure.

If that works then we know it is something to do with the carbon doser. It will take awhile to build though.

You can try 12 PSI first if you want. The docs are testing leaks against the normal flow direction to make sure it is working to block reverse flow.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i go back to mflex feed ill have to lower gas significantly right?
I can try 12 psi overnight and see how that goes then consider changing mflex again

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the pressure will not matter for the Masterflex on the feed side. You will only be running at atmospheric pressure so each bubble will already be at close to zero pressure and displace a bit of water. It should still work, but will be a bit lower of dkh.

Watch your pH for signs it is working. Your pH should drop even before you see a lot of bubbles.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some info on the carbon doser check valve. It sounds like it takes a higher pressure to get the valve to crack open.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed carbon doser just depowered either the float switch or apex?

Should i ditch this apex coding for co2 and just keep “always on” now that it os controled by full oat switch?

dont want to emulsify media too much (reborn); what pH you think i can obtain before float swich depowers co2?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, disable the APEX control. You should not need it The float valve will handle the co2 control.

Reborn will handle the pH that saturation will result in. I run Reborn as well. No issues with degradation.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the Apex will be good for, is telling you when you need to vent the reactor. When the pH starts to rise steadily, you will need to vent the stale gas.

I suggest you swap the ball valve and tee fitting on your recirculation line. Put the ball valve where the tee was. To vent, close the ball valve, de-energize the carbon doser so it can't add co2, and then open the ball valve on the tee.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, disable the APEX control. You should not need it The float valve will handle the co2 control.

Reborn will handle the pH that saturation will result in. I run Reborn as well. No issues with degradation.
Well that was foolish- brain dead i left the manifold feedOFF overnight! Air gap ran pump dry etc. however-co2 was still powered. The float switch should’ve depowered it.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh. The carbon doser was still powered even with the water level below the float switch? Ah, perhaps a test of the switch is in order. If you shut the ACR down and remove the lid and then manually move the float switch up and down, you should see the carbon doser toggle on and off. If it does not, then there is an issue with your float switch or the wiring in your adapter.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the Apex will be good for, is telling you when you need to vent the reactor. When the pH starts to rise steadily, you will need to vent the stale gas.

I suggest you swap the ball valve and tee fitting on your recirculation line. Put the ball valve where the tee was. To vent, close the ball valve, de-energize the carbon doser so it can't add co2, and then open the ball valve on the tee.
Regarding the recirc tee…i figured id have that for ease of purging….especially through all of this trial and error. Prior to the tee i had just the ball valve on the recirc but that was only to see if shutting off recirc had value at any point. Not sure what your saying about venting…how would having the tee where it is complicate the venting? By venting you mean purging the air out right

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh. The carbon doser was still powered even with the water level below the float switch? Ah, perhaps a test of the switch is in order. If you shut the ACR down and remove the lid and then manually move the float switch up and down, you should see the carbon doser toggle on and off. If it does not, then there is an issue with your float switch or the wiring in your adapter.
Yes ill test this…now correct me here but if i have outlet log enabled on apex and the ‘ co2 outlet” is “always on”, with the way we rigged the jumper from float switch, will apex log the outlet as OFF when/if the float switch cancels power?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the recirc tee…i figured id have that for ease of purging….especially through all of this trial and error. Prior to the tee i had just the ball valve on the recirc but that was only to see if shutting off recirc had value at any point. Not sure what your saying about venting…how would having the tee where it is complicate the venting? By venting you mean purging the air out right
Ya, the tee is a great idea, you just want it to be closer to the lid, with the ball valve coming after it. So when you close the ball valve, the CO2 can be pushed out the lid directly through the tee. With the way they are now, with the ball valve closed, the CO2 would not be able to escape.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ill test this…now correct me here but if i have outlet log enabled on apex and the ‘ co2 outlet” is “always on”, with the way we rigged the jumper from float switch, will apex log the outlet as OFF when/if the float switch cancels power?
Hmm, I am not an Apex guy, so I don't know. I know the Apex can monitor power usage, but I am not sure if it logs it passively. If it does, that would be a handy feature and would apply here for monitoring the float switch activity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back