Aquarium microscopy findings (vids + pics). Pls identify..

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures:

1. 40x
IMG_20210907_151732198_HDR.jpg

2. 400x w/about 3x phone zoom.
IMG_20210907_152145560.jpg

3. 400x w/phone zoom
IMG_20210907_152059487.jpg

4. 400x w/phone zoom
IMG_20210907_152313863.jpg

Video's:
1. https://youtube.com/shorts/qaQsbLgK8aY?feature=share

2. https://youtube.com/shorts/atK1P4RrnsI?feature=share

3. https://youtube.com/shorts/ABMkETU_Rps?feature=share

4. https://youtube.com/shorts/lZPhKiKxpRo?feature=share

5. https://youtube.com/shorts/FOxDPPX_-Z0?feature=share

(Ik the last video says 6, it's actually 5. There's no 6 video. You get what I mean.) :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the videos:

#1 is probably a copepodite, but could be a rotifer
#2 Is similar to Vorticella - usually found in freshwater, but sometimes marine
#3 possible ciliate (Euplotes?)
#4 Copepodite? Larval copepod.
#5 IDK

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the videos:

#1 is probably a copepodite, but could be a rotifer
#2 Is similar to Vorticella - usually found in freshwater, but sometimes marine
#3 possible ciliate (Euplotes?)
#4 Copepodite? Larval copepod.
#5 IDK

Jay
Are these video numbers, or from pictures.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this... I believe it to be curvularia lunata. I found it in my QT waste water from water change. It wasn't moving, but could it affect my fish?

IMG_20210908_152133692~2.jpg

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know.... a Doctor once told me that if I were to choose to do a full body CT scan, it would show so many abnormalities that I wouldn't sleep for 2-3 weeks thinking I had disease and cancer all over my body until it was disproven.

Just saying, too much info is a lot of times too much info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways I read up on it and it is a fungus and a pathogen. Still don't know if it affects fish. Or if it got through my rodi system.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know.... a Doctor once told me that if I chose to do a full body CT scan, it would show so many abnormalities that I wouldn't sleep for 2 weeks thinking I had disease and cancer all over my body until it was disproven.

Just saying, too much info is a lot of time too much info.

100% agree, I'm happy to live in the macro-world

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know.... a Doctor once told me that if I were to choose to do a full body CT scan, it would show so many abnormalities that I wouldn't sleep for 2-3 weeks thinking I had disease and cancer all over my body until it was disproven.

Nothing in this life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
-Marie Curie

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool view of things, but to the point of fear... I don't recommend swimming or playing in any marshes or bays.

I pull copepods, seaweed, amphipods, crabs, and snails a few times a year for my daughters "learning local tank". The wiggly things in the water column (and in the sand or on rocks) is quite gross. I mean, exciting for what I am doing, but not soo much when I think about all of those years of sucking in water and spitting it out at friends...

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool view of things, but to the point of fear... I don't recommend swimming or playing in any marshes or bays.

I pull copepods, seaweed, amphipods, crabs, and snails a few times a year for my daughters "learning local tank". The wiggly things in the water column (and in the sand or on rocks) is quite gross. I mean, exciting for what I am doing, but not soo much when I think about all of those years of sucking in water and spitting it out at friends...
Try looking at the water you drink...

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heh...well, if you didn't know. Cancer is always.in us. Our body fights it off constantly. So we all have cancer, but some people loose the battle and cancer gets a good grab on them.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh...well, if you didn't know. Cancer is always.in us. Our body fights it off constantly. So we all have cancer, but some people loose the battle and cancer gets a good grab on them.
Which opens the debate....

Does ICH always exist in a mature tank? And the fish just have a resistance to it with a good immune system?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which opens the debate....

Does ICH always exist in a mature tank? And the fish just have a resistance to it with a good immune system?
No, ich is not always in your tank if you quarantine properly. In a mature tank, where one does not quarantine, I believe there are other micro organisms that eat protozoa. Which may eliminate ich, but you have to keep the micro organisms fed with protozoa. So it all depends on the system I think and what things are living in there. Also I bet the fish have a good immunity to the ich but the ich may evolve to combat that. The fish only have so much to keep ich from burrowing into them. Which I'd presume is just a thicker slime coat or tougher skin, idk really.

My 0.02 cents.

Last edited:

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely an interesting topic that has been getting more and more exposure. I’m not sure if the literature would go as far as supporting the statement that cancer is always in us, it also depends how you define cells to be cancerous; for example, the nevi on our skin are actually mutated melanocytes that have gone through senescence in order to indeed avoid becoming cancerous (would you define that as a cancerous cell? They certainly are not normally functioning). Some time ago I read a paper where they observed older deceased people (70-90) that actually had small localized tumors! They would have never know without an autopsy since these didn’t majorly affect other functions (or at least we still can’t measure it). One thing that is somewhat coherent with what you said is the fact that many of our cells suicide or inactive themselves on a daily basis (generally due to exposures to carcinogens and mutagens) in order to avoid becoming a cancer cell. This went way too far (hahahaha) on a Reefing forum nonetheless

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back