Aquatic safari: Have you visited a public aquarium?

Have you visited a public aquarium?

• Yes, I regularly visit a public aquarium.

Votes: 121 36.8%
  • Yes, I have attended a public aquarium at least once but not often.

Votes: 193 58.7%
  • No, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • No, I have no plans to attend a public aquarium.

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 1.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We keep reef tanks of all shapes and sizes in our homes, but have you ever been to a public aquarium? Although the tanks at public aquariums are often larger, there is plenty that public aquarists can learn from hobbyists and that hobbyists can learn from public aquariums and those who work there. Maybe you have been behind the scenes at a public aquarium or even worked at one. Please tell us if you have visited a public aquarium and share experiences with and thoughts about public aquariums.

Pro Tip: Public aquariums can be a gateway into the hobby or a way to inform the public about reef keeping and reef conservation. Please consider attending, supporting, and even volunteering at public aquariums so that we can learn together and spread the importance of coral reefs.

Tharry68_PublicAquarium.jpeg

Photo by @Tharry68; New England Aquarium in Boston, Massachusetts, USA

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com
WWCBanner.png

“For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been to three but it has been years. I will likely stop at Miami aquarium end of next month and Shedds before the end of summer

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be at the Georgia Aquarium this weekend with family. Seeing the whale sharks and the giant rays is amazing.

Just as amazing as looking at all the displays is the behind the scenes. Seeing what it takes to run that stuff once you have reef tanks is humbling for sure.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be at the Georgia Aquarium this weekend with family. Seeing the whale sharks and the giant rays is amazing.

Just as amazing as looking at all the displays is the behind the scenes. Seeing what it takes to run that stuff once you have reef tanks is humbling for sure.
It is awesome.

GA was last years visit. Its hard to get through the whole thing in a day. My local one is the NC aquarium in Kure Beach. We like to go there 2x a year.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife and I purchased memberships to the New England Aquarium to bring our son when he turned 1yo. Now 2yo he’s become obsessed with fish/coral and notices something new every time.

It’s because of these trips he begs me to go to the LFS!!! He even weathers a 5+ hour round trip car ride to go to the three best shops!

Attachments

• IMG_3732.jpeg
    IMG_3732.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 49

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We keep reef tanks of all shapes and sizes in our homes, but have you ever been to a public aquarium? Although the tanks at public aquariums are often larger, there is plenty that public aquarists can learn from hobbyists and that hobbyists can learn from public aquariums and those who work there. Maybe you have been behind the scenes at a public aquarium or even worked at one. Please tell us if you have visited a public aquarium and share experiences with and thoughts about public aquariums.

Pro Tip: Public aquariums can be a gateway into the hobby or a way to inform the public about reef keeping and reef conservation. Please consider attending, supporting, and even volunteering at public aquariums so that we can learn together and spread the importance of coral reefs.

Tharry68_PublicAquarium.jpeg

Photo by @Tharry68; New England Aquarium in Boston, Massachusetts, USA

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com
WWCBanner.png

“For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”
i knew i recognized that tank!

Every time my old company did outings in Boston, i went there on the "free time"

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until 22 years ago I worked for a small public aquarium in a natural history museum. Now I visit public aquaria from time to time.

I think our best public reef tank in Germany is the one in Karlsruhe. It is also in a natural history museum. I think it has become the centerpiece of the museum under the direction of Hannes Kirchhauser.

dodojojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Former intern of Mystic Aquarium and current Aquarist at Georgia Aquarium! Tennessee is one of my favorites over the years. Shedd and Monterey are next on my list to hit. The Kansas City zoos new ocean building is opening in the fall and I know that one is going to be amazing

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: I have worked at a public aquarium. So lots of visiting at one point in my life. lol

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Former intern of Mystic Aquarium and current Aquarist at Georgia Aquarium! Tennessee is one of my favorites over the years. Shedd and Monterey are next on my list to hit. The Kansas City zoos new ocean building is opening in the fall and I know that one is going to be amazing

Oh cool!!! I interned at the Georgia aquarium almost 2 decades ago. What do you do there?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a number of occasions, more than that, I actually donated a little yellow and green Monti digi frag to the Maritime Museum and Aquarium of Gothenburg, many years ago. :)

This is in the main exhibit some time before they closed for a major reconstruction in 2018.
SjofartMainDisplay.jpg

This is their mother colony they grew from my frag, out of their frag system at the time. I think this was about a year and a half of growth at that point, but I'm not certain.
SjofartMuseetOriginalFrag.jpg

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visited many but I'm currently a highschool volunteer at the Seattle Aquarium (looking to possibly intern soon) and have connections to the Monterey Bay Aquarium which I never thought would happen since that's my favorite public Aquarium (specifically Matt Wandell, Paul Clarkson, and a few others I've met and talk to regularly)

My profile pic is actually of a Bloody Belly Comb Jelly from MBA

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back