Aqueon heater failure

Planedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and half ago I bought a tank off CL that came with a Marineland stealth heater. I have always used jager heaters. I have one I bought used in 1992 that I still use today. It's a green one that takes a coin to change the temp, for those that remember. Anyway I did some research on that Marineland heater and found they were recalled so I took it back to petsmart. Since they don't have eheim jager heaters I traded it in for a 200 Watt Aqueon and installed it on my 110 gallon fresh water tank. Today I was doing maintenance and the water felt warm, after checking it was 86 and the heater was stuck on. I intentionally put it on my fresh water tank as it was minimal size for that tank and would have the least to lose. All my have salt water tanks multiple small heaters and controllers for triple back up but not my fresh water. I'm glad I didn't lose any live stock. I just put my 300 Watt jager that I use for heating water for water changes in that tank and ordered a new 200watt jager ($24.50 with free shipping) . I honestly think heaters are one, if not #1, of the most likely things to fail in any tank. Just thought I share my luck with Aqueon, I Should of traded old heater for dog food.

brentsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me with my 300w aqueon heater my tank was about 88 degrees. Sadly I lost my scooter blenny due to the overheating. I upgraded to a 300w finnex titanium heater and a controller

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had that happen with two different Deep Blue 150W heaters. IMO those things are absolute junk. You can barely read the thermostat to adjust the temp....not that it matters because they are usually about 10 degrees off anyways. Both of mine failed in the on position as well with one of them also putting out stray voltage which zapped me in my saltwater mixing Brute can. They were both 4 months old.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back