Aqueon Megaflow Drain In Marineland Tank

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a 180 gallon FOWLR tank and have a question about the dual overflows.

I currently have a Marineland 93 gallon rimless RR Cube tank. The 180 that's replacing it has the same stock drains as the cube tank, just 2 of them.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about using the Aqueon Megaflow drains instead of the Marineland ones?

They are both 1" size bulkheads for the drains, though I know Marineland uses 1.25" pipe then reduces to 1" at the bulkhead. I'm not sure if the Megaflow works this way or it's just a 1" pipe.

I like the height adjustability of the Megaflows and the foam prefilter on them. I obviously would only use the drain pipe because Aqueon uses a 3/4" return and Marineland uses a 1" return.

But I wanted to see if anyone else has used the Megaflows on dual drains on tanks other than Aqueon, how silent they are, if they carry less water down than the Marineland (because of the reducer) and just your general experience with them and if they'll properly fit a drilled Marineland tank?

Marineland claims their drain handles 700gph each, but we all know that a 1" pipe handles 600gph. That's why I'm thinking that Marinelands 1.25" pipe reduced to 1" may have more flow.

I just like the features better on the adjustable Aqueon drain plumbing, but prefer the corner flow of Marineland.

Any experiences with any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a 180 gallon FOWLR tank and have a question about the dual overflows.

They are both 1" size bulkheads for the drains, though I know Marineland uses 1.25" pipe then reduces to 1" at the bulkhead. I'm not sure if the Megaflow works this way or it's just a 1" pipe.

Marineland claims their drain handles 700gph each, but we all know that a 1" pipe handles 600gph. That's why I'm thinking that Marinelands 1.25" pipe reduced to 1" may have more flow.

The Megaflow is the same thing, it gets reduced to a 1" pipe. They should be pretty much equal in flow.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, using the Megaflow plumbing? Or is it not worth the hassle and just stay with the Marineland plumbing?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 167 73.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.1%
Back