Aragonite phosphate binding

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now past my tank cycle for a couple of weeks, but I can not get my phospate up to detecteble amounts.
I think my dry rocks(aragonite) are binding the phospate. I dose every day aquaforest PO4+ (two times the amount to raise by 0.1ppm).
This same problem I had with my first reef tank and I dosed for a very long time. Now I can dose even more, but than I can overshoot a lot when the stones are saturated.
This wil kill my fish maybe. My nitrate is stil very high(50ppm), also the same with my first tank it will drop after a time when I stay dosing. What is the best solution? Or is does everyone have this problem today with dry rock. And we can not put any coral in for a long time.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wil kill my fish maybe
Phosphate wont kill your fish.
does everyone have this problem today with dry rock
Maybe not all, but lots, indeed, myself included. How old is the tank and how long have you been dosing phosphate? Also, what test kit are you using to test it? I found the salifert to be inadequate, but that may be because my eyes aren't as young as I'd like.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate binding is not exactly as described. It does not suddenly saturate. The more that is present in the water, the more can bind. That gives dosing a much softer landing than if it was like a glass filling with water that would suddenly overflow. It’s more like a river holding water. When more is added, it holds more and more.

OP
OP
F

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate wont kill your fish.

Maybe not all, but lots, indeed, myself included. How old is the tank and how long have you been dosing phosphate? Also, what test kit are you using to test it? I found the salifert to be inadequate, but that may be because my eyes aren't as young as I'd like.
I use the hanna phosphate checker hi713.
I always get 0.00 as reading.
My tank is about 2 months old now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back