are blue lettuce slugs (elysia crispata) photosynthetic?

MyCatHatesMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a huge fan of gastropods, and i would love to have one of these amazing creatures in my living room, and i know that they are somewhat photosynthetic, stealing genes from algae, but are the blue ones AS photosynthetic? the blue ones are absolutely gorgeous, but all the other gene-stealing slugs have a heavy green color, and if the green ones are more likely to survive, ill definitely get those instead

1683218161388.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I would think so. Good luck figuring out what it eats. They all apparently eat very specific species of algae and in the hobby it's unknown which species you get. They also only live several months. They also steal chloroplasts not genes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
im a huge fan of gastropods, and i would love to have one of these amazing creatures in my living room, and i know that they are somewhat photosynthetic, stealing genes from algae, but are the blue ones AS photosynthetic? the blue ones are absolutely gorgeous, but all the other gene-stealing slugs have a heavy green color, and if the green ones are more likely to survive, ill definitely get those instead

1683218161388.png
Not really as they use chlorophyl to photosynthesize by using the lighting in your tank to produce their energy from
photosynthesise and feed off of it. Same with lettuce slugs

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 67 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 51 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back