are hanna checkers worth it

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting hanna checkers but I'd need 7 different ones and I dont really have $500 I guess I could buy them used but it would still be expensive and I'm not sure it would be 100% working.

Last edited:

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For me i prefer hanna for phosphate and nitrate since the general kits vary in range and hanna is more. Accurate for those. Cal, mag and alk i use salifert qs my backup test kits and i get 100 uses compared to 25 per reagant for hanna.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not think you need 8 of them.

I like the ones I have except Magnesium

Alk, High Range Nitrate, ULR Phosphate, Phosphorous .
what about ones to measure the nitrogen cycle, calcium, and ph

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside -- Hanna makes the Marine Master checker that does a bunch of parameters in one unit for <$500 so you could check that out.

I like the Hanna checkers that I own but I only have 3,,, and I'm color blind,,, so there's that.
hahaha

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask me it is worth picking and choosing. My favorites are the Alk, Ultralow Range Phosphate, and High Range Nitrate. These all use 1 reagent and are some of the most accurate and easy to use.

Some of the other checkers use 2 or even 3 reagents and are not the most accurate. The checkers are not the best for measuring everything.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna alk, phosphate and high range nitrate. I use a Red Sea pro kit for calcium. I haven’t seen a need for anything else. Magnesium is rarely checked.
what about the nitrogen cycle, ph, and why not hanna calcium

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I jacked up one of mine while testing one night. Put reagent directly into the checker with no cuvette. You could also be getting scratched glass. Glass could also be stained. If parameters are your goal, don’t you want to have trust in the process ?
true

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting hanna checkers but I'd need 7 different ones and I dont really have $500 I guess I could buy them used but it would still be expensive and I'm not sure it would be 100% working.

Which 7 parameters do you want to test?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they worth it?

For phosphate: yes.
For the rest of the parameters? NOOOOOOO.

Salifert is more accurate when it comes to alkalinity, calcium and magnesium than Hanna will ever be. Titration is simply more accurate than extinction photometry. That's a physical limitation.
And when it comes to nitrate a result like: between 20mg/l and 10mg/l is usually close enough.

Back