jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up my new 210 tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-225-gallon-build.288361/

It's been up and running for about about 5 days now. The fish seem to be doing well and my water parameters are good, but I keep getting micro-bubbles which is getting frustrating.

Now, I swapped over all my rock from my 150 and added some more. I swapped over most of my sand, but added some new sand. Pretty much all my equipment was swapped over.

At first, I could see that one of the return lines was getting a venturi from the siphon break. I corrected this issue with some airline under the water line, but I am still seeing bubbles!!!

In my sump, my skimmer (which is 2 years old and swapped from the old tank) seems to be putting out a bunch of micro-bubbles. I have an Oceanic sump so I do have a bubble wall, but I still see some bubbles in the return chamber.

So, I read in a couple places that because it is a new tank with new components (returns, durso stacks, hoses, glass, etc) that micro bubbles may be normal until the components become "wet." Has anyone experienced this?

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up my new 210 tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-225-gallon-build.288361/

It's been up and running for about about 5 days now. The fish seem to be doing well and my water parameters are good, but I keep getting micro-bubbles which is getting frustrating.

Now, I swapped over all my rock from my 150 and added some more. I swapped over most of my sand, but added some new sand. Pretty much all my equipment was swapped over.

At first, I could see that one of the return lines was getting a venturi from the siphon break. I corrected this issue with some airline under the water line, but I am still seeing bubbles!!!

In my sump, my skimmer (which is 2 years old and swapped from the old tank) seems to be putting out a bunch of micro-bubbles. I have an Oceanic sump so I do have a bubble wall, but I still see some bubbles in the return chamber.

So, I read in a couple places that because it is a new tank with new components (returns, durso stacks, hoses, glass, etc) that micro bubbles may be normal until the components become "wet." Has anyone experienced this?

Yes. I had crazy microbubbles for a week in my 90. They all the sudden disappeared about two weeks in.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, since nothing I am doing seems to be making a difference, I am going to have to wait it out and see.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I had crazy microbubbles for a week in my 90. They all the sudden disappeared about two weeks in.
Ok, since nothing I am doing seems to be making a difference, I am going to have to wait it out and see.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also get them if you used glued pvc on the return and didn't get a complete fuse between 2 pieces. It will suck in air through pinholes and cause micro bubles.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also get them if you used glued pvc on the return and didn't get a complete fuse between 2 pieces. It will suck in air through pinholes and cause micro bubles.
I didn't glue anything. They are megaflow overflow kits. The instructions said not to glue them. I used nylon tubing to the bulkhead and that goes right to the return. I don't see any water leaking out from the elbow. It's a really tight fit.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I had to read your first post again. Are you able to adjust the air intake on the skimmer? On several of my new tanks I had my skimmer do the same. It took some adjusting for the skimmer to settle down and a little time.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I had to read your first post again. Are you able to adjust the air intake on the skimmer? On several of my new tanks I had my skimmer do the same. It took some adjusting for the skimmer to settle down and a little time.
I cannot adjust the air intake, only the level. It's a reef octopus XS 200. I think I'll just try to wait it out.

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RO INT 150 and man it looked so cloudy from the microbubbles. I did add a carbon bag for a few days, changed it once, then once my skimmer broke in the bubbles are about 90% less. If you search in this forum you will find where I was going nuts from all the foam and bubbles because I refused to wait it out lol.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back