Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my clownfish look like the middle has swollen
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417989468.128400.jpg
is it pregnant or is something wrong with it?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has she been acting funny? Cleaning off a spot, twitching?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think they get that big from being prego...

Bump for an expert opinion.

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this right after you fed them ? Cause I've noticed every once in a while when my fathers clowns hork down a bunch of food they get little stomachs like that

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for white stringy poo. If you see white strings hanging from the belly, you need to get the fish out of the tank.

OP
OP
C

Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for white stringy poo. If you see white strings hanging from the belly, you need to get the fish out of the tank.

I have seen white stringy poop what should I do for them

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the fish is sick. Don't know what it's called in english, but usually when it reaches that stage, you really can't do anything for it. The intestines dissolve from the inside out. Get it out and put it down.

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a disease usually seen in freshwater fish, and most of the known cures are meant for freshwater. Usually medicine made with Metronidazole. But it's a hit and miss. I've had it 2 times, both times the fish where put down. It's highly contagious.

OP
OP
C

Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a disease usually seen in freshwater fish, and most of the known cures are meant for freshwater. Usually medicine made with Metronidazole. But it's a hit and miss. I've had it 2 times, both times the fish where put down. It's highly contagious.

Does it only happen in clowns

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it only happen in clowns

I believe he is talking about "bloat" or "dropsy" and from what I know is very very rare in marine fish. A swollen stomach can mean many things. Is she eating much? Is her colour normal? Have you seen her poop often? Is she as active as she usually is?
White stringy poop can be disease related, but can also be constipation related. Constipation can be easy to fix, disease maybe not.

OP
OP
C

Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he is talking about "bloat" or "dropsy" and from what I know is very very rare in marine fish. A swollen stomach can mean many things. Is she eating much? Is her colour normal? Have you seen her poop often? Is she as active as she usually is?
White stringy poop can be disease related, but can also be constipation related. Constipation can be easy to fix, disease maybe not.

Everything is normal but her stomach is bloated. And my other clownfish has it too.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is normal but her stomach is bloated. And my other clownfish has it too.

Do a bit I research into bloat/dropsy and see what you think, but I'd say it's more constipation related than disease related. Especially if all other behaviour is normal.
What are they eating and how often? Change up their diet a bit and see what happens. There are cures for constipation but I couldn't tell you any off the top of my head. I can only think of freshwater cures.

OP
OP
C

Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a bit I research into bloat/dropsy and see what you think, but I'd say it's more constipation related than disease related. Especially if all other behaviour is normal.
What are they eating and how often? Change up their diet a bit and see what happens. There are cures for constipation but I couldn't tell you any off the top of my head. I can only think of freshwater cures.

They are eating brine shrimp and spnetimes mysis and they didn't really like the pellet

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can get very bloated when pregnant, but in my experience(I breed clowns - or try to I should say) the belly doesn't quite get that big. If she was that pregnant the male would already crazily cleaning a pot. Look into the constipation.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get that big before they lay but they won't be that way for long. This is my female picasso the day before or the day she laid, I forget. After she lays she is back to normal until the next clutch. As long as it's gone down within a day or two I'd say she's probably laying somewhere but they would be spending most of their time in that area, you would notice.

OP
OP
C

Coleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get that big before they lay but they won't be that way for long. This is my female picasso the day before or the day she laid, I forget. After she lays she is back to normal until the next clutch. As long as it's gone down within a day or two I'd say she's probably laying somewhere but they would be spending most of their time in that area, you would notice.

Both of them looked like that so they weren't pregnant I just started feeding them less which seemed to work so far

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yeah they can't both be holding eggs. Glad it's working out.

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looks like this but only the female. They seem to be spending 90 percent of their time hidden I didn’t think about sickness. The first thing that came to mind is she is holding eggs. The only way to coax her from behind the rock is with a little bit of food, she comes out ...eats ... runs back and hides.

image.jpg image.jpg

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back