Are my new corals ok?

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time with corals, picked up a Candy Cane, Zoas and a Green Emerald Mushroom...candy cane cam on a stake/plug and is looking kind of brown.. and im not sure what to do with him so i just stuck the plug into the sand for now....will it be ok or should i somehow put him on a rock? the mushroom somehow came off the plug in transit and i panicked and glued (horrible glue job i know...) him back on the plug and onto a rock but now its kind of folded up on itself...

20240424_003352.jpg 20240424_003306.jpg 20240424_003336.jpg

Sdbuehler1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used rubber bands in the past to attach mushrooms to a small rock. Within a couple weeks you can remove the rubber band and hopefully it is attached. Just make sure the rubber band isn’t too tight or you’ll end up with two mushrooms lol.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately not looking too good, the first pic has algae growing on it, the second pic looks almost dead, the skeleton is showing... If you can post your water parameters, your lighting and flow and tank age, I'm sure folks can help you out.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a brand new tank! Most people dont add corals for atleast 3-5 months. You normally get a "stable" tank after a year.
Like others said, that mushroom shouldnt be glued down. The other corals are looking real bad. Zoas are closed tight and the candy cane looks dead.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as others have said, this tank looks brand spanking new, you have what looks like the start up of cyanobacteria all over the rocks. I would recommend taking those corals back to where you bought them. Give your tank a chance to mature a little bit . This forum will help you out a lot, but you need to give those animals a chance, and they do not have much of one in a brand new tank. Do you have anything for flow in the tank like a power head, or wave maker? I ask because usually cyano is due to a lack of flow. What lighting do you have on the tank?

OP
OP
S

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as others have said, this tank looks brand spanking new, you have what looks like the start up of cyanobacteria all over the rocks. I would recommend taking those corals back to where you bought them. Give your tank a chance to mature a little bit . This forum will help you out a lot, but you need to give those animals a chance, and they do not have much of one in a brand new tank. Do you have anything for flow in the tank like a power head, or wave maker? I ask because usually cyano is due to a lack of flow. What lighting do you have on the tank?
Tank is a little over 2 months old
40gb tank
2x Koralia 850 powerheads so i cant imagine lack of flow?
2x Ai prime 16HD lights

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing your parameters are always a good way to start troubleshooting.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a little over 2 months old
40gb tank
2x Koralia 850 powerheads so i cant imagine lack of flow?
2x Ai prime 16HD lights
yep those power heads should do good, as well as the lights. Hove you ever tried coral snow? There is a DIY recipe for it on here somewhere. When you use that in conjunction with Microbacter 7, it is supposed to help with cyanobacteria. With a tank this new you will go thru all kinds of different growth, usually referred to as the uglies. As I said best hope for the corals would be to return them. Let your tank mature a little, then you will be much better suited for corals. For that mushroom, did you glue it, or did you buy it that way? I ask, of course because if you glued it, they most likely will not take it back.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the picture you posted on Saturday about the newly cycled tank. You are going to have a lot of ups and downs for awhile. I would suggest getting a little more age on the tank before adding more stuff. It takes longer to have a stable tank and you still need to get through the uglies. How is the hermit crab doing? You might want to put nori on a rock, with a rubber band, so the hermit and snails have more to eat.

OP
OP
S

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the picture you posted on Saturday about the newly cycled tank. You are going to have a lot of ups and downs for awhile. I would suggest getting a little more age on the tank before adding more stuff. It takes longer to have a stable tank and you still need to get through the uglies. How is the hermit crab doing? You might want to put nori on a rock, with a rubber band, so the hermit and snails have more to eat.
Everyone else in the tank seem to be doing pretty well, i actually picked up a bunch of nori sheets this morning and am doing just that.

OP
OP
S

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing your parameters are always a good way to start troubleshooting.
40 gallon breeder
salinity = 1.026
ammonia = 0
ph = 8
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
Temp = 77f

2 occelaris clowns
1 watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 blue legged hermit
2 nassarius snails
4 cerith snails
1 baseball sized lump of Chaeto hung in a experimental soap dish as i dont have a refugium

equipment:

aquamaxx hob 1.5 skimmer
2x koralia 850 powerheads
2x Ai prime 16hd lights running one of their "promoted lighting schedules"

cycled with Dr. Tims & microbacter 7 then fishless cycle by dosing ammonia

had what i though was "the uglies" for about 1 week, everything went brown then kinda turned into cyano

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to want to get your nutrients up zero nitrate is no bueno. If I had to guess, because you didn’t post it, your phosphate is probably the same. These corals like higher levels or they starve. Phosphate.05-.1 and nitrate 10-15.

OP
OP
S

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to want to get your nutrients up zero nitrate is no bueno. If I had to guess, because you didn’t post it, your phosphate is probably the same. These corals like higher levels or they starve. Phosphate.05-.1 and nitrate 10-15.
How should i go about increasing those?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should i go about increasing those?
First, if you don’t have a test for phosphate, get one. Increase feeding, decrease amount and frequency of water changes and temporarily turn off your skimmer. Although I haven’t used it, Reefroids are a good way to increase phosphate.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More food and pull out the chaeto. I am wondering if the tank even cycled with those numbers. I saw that you had .75ppm ammonia, 3.5ppm nitrite and 40ppm nitrate. I don’t understand how the nitrate would be 0ppm now, except for massive water changes or testing error. Unless the microbacter 7 somehow removed the nitrates?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, with a 2 month old tank, its better to wait it out for the tank to naturally increase in nutrients, rather than try to force it into the system. More than likely, it will be algae that consumes the excess nutrients at this stage. Its all part of why people suggest to wait a few months before getting corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back