• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my dad coming in to help take pics and theres no way he will no names when he's taking pic's and writing stuff down so I'm think of going kinda generic and just giving a common name"s to each type of frag or coral and getting away from the naming thing on the site to make things easier when downloading and I will still use names on the LE stuff that is very limited but most will be ID by the specie's or genius. What ya think?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a customer stand point I think names are useful in the sense of describing the particular morph of coral....As Well as useful in trading purposes, but in your case and I think a lot of others should follow is getting back to the old school ways of dealing with corals and color morphs. I think personally it has gotten out of hand with everything having a name and increased prices cause of such.....Kudos to you for limiting the use and not making it a marketing ploy to get big bucks for corals that may or may not be "rare in the hobby".....The step back from naming has to start some where and why not with a company that has a great rep like yours. Maybe others will see and take notice...But that is just my opinion.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking plus will make things a whole lot easeir when uploading lol I think common specific names should sell just as well when priced right and pictures are clear.

xiongaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think name are as important as the picture. a good name, good picture and a nice looking zoa will sell much better.

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a name on something, even if it is amazingly stupid and on a blah coral, people go nuts over it. From a business standpoint, do it. I prefer to stay away from names myself as what I call something someone else will argue up and down I'm wrong. "No, that pink paly is obviously Bill's Ballistic Blue Baby!"

Names sell. Nuff said.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A really good picture will help you to sell corals more so than a name will. A picture is worth a thousand words but when you put a really cool name on it along with a killer pic, it's money!

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me? names mean nothing. To a collector who would pay a lot more than me for your stuff, names are everything. All in what your target market is.

softiegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy zoas with fancy names, then i forget what they were!! lol... it doesnt sway me one way or another, personally i think they should be priced on the growth rate, accessibility, etc. Not their name. JMO!

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Case in point...monster mash, flame thrower, Miami hurricane, mummy eye, purple monster, lime in the sky, aqua delight, bazooka Joe and the list goes on...all got killer names and still to this day are in demand

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But are they in demand because of the names, or because they're really great corals? I'd be interested in learning if someone else has sold these under a different name, and to what degree of success.

fashionphile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my line of work (fashion, as if you cant tell) names/labels are everything.
Same would apply to corals in a marketing sense.
Its Louis Vuitton vs Wrangler

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In demand because they are gorgeous corals with really cool names but more because of their beauty, the cool names help to bolster their demand

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still plan to use names on some but trying to get away from naming everything should make uploading easier I can keep more frags up regularly and at a cheaper price beings more are up but we will see lol.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me? names mean nothing. To a collector who would pay a lot more than me for your stuff, names are everything. All in what your target market is.

yep agree what I want to do is target everyone and by making my job easier I can offer more corals regularly at a cheaper rate some stuff will still be named but majority will not for picturing and uploading purposes to make things easier and faster, I really appreciate everyones input.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if they already have a common name then put it on there but if they don't it doesnt matter if you make one up or not.

I like names so the coral can be identified easier.
Sometimes theres 5 diff. people naming the same zoa and then it gets confusing.

If I'm paying a high price for a certain named coral. I wanna be sure it's the real one and not one that kinda sorta looks like it. If they arent sure I'd rather have it not named.
With zoa's it's easier to tell but chalice frags look alot different than the parent colony.

kass

garrettm85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jody,

I would definately stick with the names. Like others have said, it is just another way for people to easily identify a coral. I personally don't really care too much about lineage and all that but it is sort of nice when a piece is extremely rare or uncommon.

Garrett

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jody,

I would definately stick with the names. Like others have said, it is just another way for people to easily identify a coral. I personally don't really care too much about lineage and all that but it is sort of nice when a piece is extremely rare or uncommon.

Garrett

thanks for the input you may be right just means a little more computer time but still would like to here from others and please vote.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back