Are quarantine tanks needed for LPS?

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are quarantine tanks needed for LPS? If yes, how should the tank be set up and what do I look for? Also, how long do I have the coral in the Q-Tank?

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip any new coral in CoralRX or Coral Revive. Get's rid of the pests. quarantine tanks are expensive to run, and you need to have proper lighting on it for your coral. So, another expensive light fixture for something that won't be run to much.

kthehun89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems that quarantine tanks are popular for fish, where as dips are the preferred for corals. good luck!

CORDINO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip definately a good idea, not only kills pests but can also fight of infections on damaged corals, iodine also works good.

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Any tricks in the dipping process or just follow the instruction?

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralrx is a very good dip and works very well, can double the recommended dose with out side effects.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip if I see something off. If not I toss them in. Only with SPS am I very cautious. I don't even qt fish. If they eat..I'm not worried.

clarky2120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the directions on the bottle. Use your own tank water. Drop in the drops of Coral RX or whatever. Use a powerhead to create some flow and leave in the dip for 10mins or so. Then I usually give them one good shake and dip them again in clean tank water. Then they go in the main tank.

I dispose of the coral-rx/tank water mix and the clean tank water I used to dip one last time.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
quarantine tanks are expensive to run, and you need to have proper lighting on it for your coral. So, another expensive light fixture for something that won't be run to much.

I disagree. I have two small qts one for fish and one for coral the coral tank is a 10 gallon with a heather and a 70 watt halide that only runs when i have stuff in there. the fish qt is a 30 breeder with a small hangon filter.

i would not consider either of these expensive to run. I wont even get in to the argument for cost of DT inhabitants death or parasites from not qtin'g new arrivals.

once you learn the hard way a qt tank and regimen become part of the total system and cost to run them is irrelevant.

Last edited:

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space then QT is the way to go. QT for fish and corals should be separate. Many at times there are bugs in corals that dont come out when dipped and cause large damage to your display tank corals.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I have two small qts one for fish and one for coral the coral tank is a 10 gallon with a heather and a 70 watt halide that only runs when i have stuff in there. the fish qt is a 30 breeder with a small hangon filter.

i would not consider either of these expensive to run. I wont even get in to the argument for cost of DT inhabitants death or parasites from not qtin'g new arrivals.

once you learn the hard way a qt tank and regimen become part of the total system and cost to run them is irrelevant.

If you already have the stuff, then awesome. Most people don't have the extra light fixture, heater, timer, or space for a coral QT tank. A fish QT tank is nothing to run. A heater a filter and ambient lighting is all you need for that.
There is no true way to get rid of all parasites/pests. There could be aiptasia on the rock/plug it's on, there could be hydroids, bryopsis, certain snails, certain flatworms, etc... Those would not be affected by a dip or QT.
It's really up to the individual to decide what suits them best, and what they can afford to run. Not just talking financially, but space wise.
Would it be better to dip and QT, no disagreement there. It's just that most don't. If you don't QT, you should definately dip.

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your input! For LPS corals how long would you hold them in a QT? Also, what would you look for?

nvfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always just dipped my corals in revive or iodine, but now after a recent outbreak of a bad pest i will always use QT tank for here on out. I have a 10ft tank full of mainly acros but several lps. It is many many times cheaper to qt then rip apart your whole tank and dip all your colonys.

Remeber the eggs of alot of critters are not killed in revive or iodine on any product out there, and most people who do not qt probally have alot of pests that they dont think they have.

Last edited:

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can QT is the way to go, i use some LEDs over mine.
As mentioned there are many things that dips don't or can't catch (plus many dips can be stressful on the corals). The best thing is observation, at which point you can remove that which you don't want to introduce to your DT.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine everything!!!! I have read horror stories like from mark poletti who got acro eating flatworms from a zoa frag!!!! You never know what kind of hitch hikers your gonna pick up.... I can't stress this enough!!!! Lime nvfishman stated above he has a 700gallon tank packed with acros and he just learned he had aefw...:( just do it man a 10gal tank with a crappy pc light and hob filter is all you need to quarantine new arrivals..... Good luck..

nvfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a learning process. When i first started out I didnt dip at all, then I ended up with red flatworms, no big deal they really cant kill anything. Then a while later I on and off dipped ( I didn't want to stress the coral especially if it had a bad flight or were tired lol) Then I got red bugs. After that I always dipped and inspected the corals. Now is the next phase QT as I got them Bas____ in my tank .:sad:

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%

Back