Are these Aptaisia? and harmful or peaceful?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these boys in my tank for a year. They keep multiplying. The only fish I lost were a small flasher wrasse and small firefish (they mysteriously got wound on their body and died soon after). I'm not sure if those deaths were related to the aptaisia though. Other than that they don't seem to bother anything. But again I just want to make sure if they're harmful.

1000059717.jpg

1000059716.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it looks like aptasia or majano.

I know that they can cause issues with coral, but I am not sure about fish.

I feel like no, because in our tanks we put anemones and coral with stings just as bad or worse as aptasia.

Now that I think about, I used to have a yellow clown goby that would always hang out near a rock with aptasia, then one day his pectoral fin was gone, then he died a few days later. Maybe it was the aptasia...? I have no idea.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Aiptasia to me. I only know that they can sting corals and small seahorses, I don't know if they can sting fish. It would make sense that they possibly could...

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these boys in my tank for a year. They keep multiplying. The only fish I lost were a small flasher wrasse and small firefish (they mysteriously got wound on their body and died soon after). I'm not sure if those deaths were related to the aptaisia though. Other than that they don't seem to bother anything. But again I just want to make sure if they're harmful.

1000059717.jpg

1000059716.jpg
More of a nuisance than danger. Aptasia can quickly overrun a tank.
I use a kalk paste in a syringe to cover the polyps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back