Are these flukes?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been monitoring a wrasse that I had ship in a little rough for the last couple of days that hasn’t been eating and showing signs of a spinal injury. It’s been in an acclimation box in my display tank since it’s had some difficulty swimming. I’m still pretty new to saltwater so I didn’t really know what I was looking for until I noticed what looked to be a loose scale on its head. After a freshwater dip a couple of flakes came off of the fish that I initially thought were just scales. I really hope I’m wrong but could these be flukes? I’m going to be getting some prazipro tomorrow just in case but I fear I might have to treat the whole DT.

7A28BDB6-04A8-4A49-9A45-962240DC9259.jpeg 02813554-AEAE-4E86-A468-D2B9AC464046.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - those are Neobenedenia flukes. They are fairly commonly seen in newly acquired fish. Good dealers will try to manage them through treatments. Even one egg can start up an infection in your tank. Don’t treat right away though. Prazipro does NOT kill the eggs, and these can take up to 12 days to hatch. I would wait a week, then dose the DT and then dose it two more times, 8 days apart. Add good aeration, remove carbon and run your skimmer but don’t collect the skimmate during treatment. Most people do a 25% water change before the second and third treatments.

However, the spinal injury symptoms is possibly this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/

Jay

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running some chemipure blue at the moment, so once I start the prazi I should remove that from my filtration? Also since the flukes are gone what’s the prognosis on the wrasse in the hopes that it isn’t UNWD. Could it possibly perk up and start eating since some irritants are gone?

I do have some Ruby Rally Pro on hand, in the future would a Rally Pro dip during acclimation of new fish help prevent any more cases like this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been monitoring a wrasse that I had ship in a little rough for the last couple of days that hasn’t been eating and showing signs of a spinal injury. It’s been in an acclimation box in my display tank since it’s had some difficulty swimming. I’m still pretty new to saltwater so I didn’t really know what I was looking for until I noticed what looked to be a loose scale on its head. After a freshwater dip a couple of flakes came off of the fish that I initially thought were just scales. I really hope I’m wrong but could these be flukes? I’m going to be getting some prazipro tomorrow just in case but I fear I might have to treat the whole DT.

7A28BDB6-04A8-4A49-9A45-962240DC9259.jpeg 02813554-AEAE-4E86-A468-D2B9AC464046.jpeg
While similar looks more like a flatworm. Are your fish showing any symptoms such as swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While similar looks more like a flatworm. Are your fish showing any symptoms such as swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

Definitely a loss of appetite and I’ve seen it shaking its head. The head shakes are actually what prompted me to try a freshwater dip once I noticed the “loose scale” on its head. Anything swim related is a little difficult to tell since I’m not sure what may be caused by the fluke/flatworm or a spinal injury/UNWD.

Thankfully this is the only fish showing symptoms at the moment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running some chemipure blue at the moment, so once I start the prazi I should remove that from my filtration? Also since the flukes are gone what’s the prognosis on the wrasse in the hopes that it isn’t UNWD. Could it possibly perk up and start eating since some irritants are gone?

I do have some Ruby Rally Pro on hand, in the future would a Rally Pro dip during acclimation of new fish help prevent any more cases like this?

You should remove Chemipure when dosing prazi. The flukes likely aren't gone though - probably one or more flukes made it through the dip, or they laid eggs prior to the dip and those eggs stick to everything.

Rally Pro doesn't work for this species of fluke. UNWD just doesn't seem to resolve. I'm still waiting for a fish with a confirmed case to recover, and so far, I haven't seen that - sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should remove Chemipure when dosing prazi. The flukes likely aren't gone though - probably one or more flukes made it through the dip, or they laid eggs prior to the dip and those eggs stick to everything.

Rally Pro doesn't work for this species of fluke. UNWD just doesn't seem to resolve. I'm still waiting for a fish with a confirmed case to recover, and so far, I haven't seen that - sorry!

Jay

Sorry I should have said that the flukes on its body were gone at least. I'm sure they're in the system so far but I figure at FW dip is enough for a little relief. Somehow this wrasse is still kicking, so hopefully this will let it perk up a bit and maybe take food. I'm planning another dip later on tonight just to see if any were missed in the initial one.

The little guy is a fighter, rooting for him to pull through

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for prazi I should aim to undershoot the dosage a little on account of water displacement. For my 125 gallon I’m dosing as if it’s 100 gallons right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for prazi I should aim to undershoot the dosage a little on account of water displacement. For my 125 gallon I’m dosing as if it’s 100 gallons right?
It depends on how much rock you have in the tank, and you also have to add in some water if the tank has a sump. I have found that most tanks hold about 85% of their rated capacity of water. That would be about 106 gallons in your case.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how much rock you have in the tank, and you also have to add in some water if the tank has a sump. I have found that most tanks hold about 85% of their rated capacity of water. That would be about 106 gallons in your case.
If I had to estimate I would say that I have around 90 lbs of rock in the tank. 100 on the higher end

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to estimate I would say that I have around 90 lbs of rock in the tank. 100 on the higher end

Just a rough estimate - 90# of rock, being much heavier than water, probably displaces 5 gallons of water.

If you want to dig into this further, this thread *might* give you some more insight:

Jay

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh right I didn't think about that. I have to base more on the volume occupied than the weight.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a full tank shot for reference

Attachments

• 7A9CBCEB-451D-4F8A-9BCA-4000F998A774.jpeg
    7A9CBCEB-451D-4F8A-9BCA-4000F998A774.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw what might have looked like a fluke on my royal gramma so I started prazi treatment today. Just posting here so I can keep track of the days

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second dose of Prazi went in today. Thankfully looks like everything is tolerating the treatment well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back